Why Ro Water Is Good For You And Your Tank

Alrighty :hey:

Now will they kill just the odd hermit crab, or will they annihilate everything, including Brittle Stars, ect.

:thanks:
-Lynden

They'll annihilate bristlestars and bristleworms for sure. I dunno enough about them to comment on their ability to eat snails/hermits/etc. I just know that they're listed as highly incompatible with inverts for what thats worth :huh:

And Edit: all the above are jumpers

Thanks for the info, Ski :)

Damn, everywhere I look at says something different about them :S

I think I might just stick with a pair of Halichoeres until I have enough money to blow by testing it's compatiblity.

-Lynden

P.S. all of the websites I have looked at called them "Expert Only" fish, but then stated that they were hardy and easy to feed. Why are they "Expert Only"? I assume it has something to do with shipping? :huh:

I think I will get a pair or trio of Halichoeres hortulanus when I upgrade; they are apparently less risky in a reef. Coris and Thalassoma are really, really nice though; it's too bad they are such capable predators :hyper: Someday. :wub:

Sorry about all the questions; I was getting pretty damn confused about all the conflicting info on the web :grr: I'm still stumped as to why they are called "Expert Only" fish. :huh:

:thanks:
-Lynden

They're hardy in that they eat easily and respond well to stresses. However they're expert only because of their destructive behavior on inverts and rocks ;)

Even the Halichoeres? :/

-Lynden

Actually the halichoeres are least likely to throw stuff, but that wont stop them from doing it once in a while. Oh and btw, they will sometimes spit or splash water at you :hey: or at least the ones at my LFS get me wet every time I walk by their tank. Little mongrels :p

My beloved Hermit Crab has perished.

He has slowed down over the past few weeks, I thought he was getting ready to molt, because he exibited this behaviour the last time he molted. He must have either succumbed in the process of molting, either that or he died of old age.

I came to this conclusion, at first, because the Shrimps were picking over him last night, and in the morning the Triggers were ferociously tearing chunks of his flesh away and eating it. Normally, the Crab would never let any fish go near him.

Final measurements are as follows;
7'' +; from tip of legs to back of abdomen
3.5'' +; left cheliped
2'' +; right cheliped
4'' +; largest leg
2'' +; thorax

Sigh.... At least he got out of that jar he was in for months before I bought him. He got to live the last few months of his life in happiness.

Rest In Peace.

But on a better note -

The Pinktail and Niger Triggers are doing wonderfully; they both accept Mysid, "Plankton", and Formula foods. The Niger will eat everything; in fact, yesterday he tried to eat the Zebra Goby :# who got away with minor injuries. Both of the shrimp are fine and have molted twice, each.

I also have an unusual, but very, very cool phenomenon going on in my tank: aggression is virtually non-existant, except for the occasionality when the Niger chases the Goby :( . However, he appears to have a bodyguard; the Pinktail will viciously attack the Niger whenever he decides to chase the Goby. :dunno: Otherwise, the two Triggers will swim together peacefully.

-Lynden

My beloved Hermit Crab has perished.

He has slowed down over the past few weeks, I thought he was getting ready to molt, because he exibited this behaviour the last time he molted. He must have either succumbed in the process of molting, either that or he died of old age.

I came to this conclusion, at first, because the Shrimps were picking over him last night, and in the morning the Triggers were ferociously tearing chunks of his flesh away and eating it. Normally, the Crab would never let any fish go near him.

Final measurements are as follows;
7'' +; from tip of legs to back of abdomen
3.5'' +; left cheliped
2'' +; right cheliped
4'' +; largest leg
2'' +; thorax

Sigh.... At least he got out of that jar he was in for months before I bought him. He got to live the last few months of his life in happiness.

Rest In Peace.

Sorry about your loss, Lynden. :rip:

That hermy was cool. Ive seen one the same, but bigger. Not my thing, but they are cute in their own right! :blush: RIP. Good to hear your Trigger is finally eating! :good:

At last, pictures of the legendary garden of water spots, non-hidden equipment, and most of all, hair algae. :D
The pictures are kind of blurry; kind of really blurry, but better than the last ones.

The fish don't like it when I mess with the tank - therefore major cleanings will be held off until the 77 gallon is up. :shifty:

P1000300.jpg

P1000400.jpg

P1000254.jpg

P1000392.jpg

P1000287.jpg

P1000280.jpg

P1000219.jpg
P1000352.jpg
P1000383.jpg
P1000291.jpg

P1000230.jpg
P1000336.jpg
P1000375.jpg
P1000370.jpg
P1000398.jpg

P1000376.jpg
P1000374.jpg
P1000346.jpg
P1000282.jpg
P1000231.jpg

P1000362.jpg
P1000292.jpg
P1000276.jpg
P1000275.jpg

The red crab is now deceased. :sad: I hope to get another one day....

Hope you all liked my gallery - next time the pictures won't be so blurry or "dirty" next time; I have found the image stabilization button! :shout:

-Lynden

OUCH! WOW. :crazy: :crazy: :sick:

That looks really really gross. Thank God I have never got any algae blooms. *knocks on wood* :unsure:

Nice fishys though. Also thank God for not having algae grow on fish ^_^.

OUCH! WOW. :crazy: :crazy: :sick:

That looks really really gross.

Thanks alot :lol: It really is actually a little better in person. I really didn't like how most of the photos turned out :/ they tend to show only the bad-points of the tank. And they are blurry. But at least they show what the fish look like :lol: Believe it or not, though, the hair algae is on the decline. But, I can say that the hair algae is the biggest reason why "RO water is good for you and your tank"! :lol:

that crab picture looks mega well done mate!

Yeah, I think so too. ^_^ :hey: He was the only one who would stay still for me :lol:

Wow, great pics. My fish never pose for me like that :lol:

Thank you :# That's mostly the work of a "photocrop".

-Lynden

Most reactions

Back