Why Do Two Female Blue Rams Lay Eggs Together?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

myhobby

Reaction score
I have two 1 1/4 inch female blue rams. Both have pink belly. After they laid their eggs, their bellies became totally flat.

After two days fungus grew on them and they ate all the eggs.

Has anyone seen this before? Why do two female blue rams laid eggs when no males in the tank?

Thanks in Advanced.

I've seen before cichlid species where the male and female look similar, that when only two females are present they get confused and lay they're eggs hoping that the other will fertilise them, apparently its quite common with Angels. If you have enough room in your tank why not get a male? If not how about taking one back to your LFS and swapping it, check that they'll let you first though. And then you'll get countless hours of fun watching cichlid rearing behaviour, once you see it you'll be hooked.

I've seen before cichlid species where the male and female look similar, that when only two females are present they get confused and lay they're eggs hoping that the other will fertilise them, apparently its quite common with Angels. If you have enough room in your tank why not get a male? If not how about taking one back to your LFS and swapping it, check that they'll let you first though. And then you'll get countless hours of fun watching cichlid rearing behaviour, once you see it you'll be hooked.

Hi Matt:

Thank you. Actually, I have a 6 rams in my 20 gallons tank. I do think I have a male in the tank. It does not have a pink belly. But for some reason, the two females prefer to be together all the time and. when they see this presume male they chase him away.

Very strange. I cannot explain it.

Maybe it has to do with the color. The two females are colorful but the male lacks color. It has solid black spot on each side.

Thanks again.

Most reactions

trending

Back