White Striped Pimelodus

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

mhoward1999

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi ya'll. I have a white striped pimelodus and I don't know what I can safely put with it. I had it in my 29 gal tank with a plecostimous, two kissing gouramis, and two blue paradise gouramis. He killed my pleco (which was 12" long.) I have since been told that they are territorial and will attack any other bottom dwellers. I am still leary of putting him back in with the others. (I put him in solitary confinement until I can figure out what to do with him...)What do ya'll think? :thumbs:
TIA! :D

In a 29g im afraid you wont be able to add any new bottom dwelling tankmates, WLP are a territorial fish that wont tolerate others in their space. I have one in my main tank which has a very large footprint and it peacefully co exists with 5 other pimeloid catfish (3xS.lima and 2xP.ornatus) and various other species but in anything less than a 55g they should be the only bottom dweller.

So.... does this mean that it's okay to put him back in with the gouramis? I didn't intend to add another bottom dweller. I am concerned about algae, though. I am a teacher and this tank is in my classroom. There is a window that runs the entire length of the eastern wall, so it gets a lot of sunlight, even though I have the tank on the south wall in the opposite corner of the room from the window. Would he attack a big snail?

A large snail should remain unmolested but as with all living things there is always exceptions, id say give it a go.

ok-ay...I'm gonna give it a shot. I will bring him from home tomorrow and throw him in there. I'll let you know how it goes on this thread! :unsure:

I went to my lfs this weekend and was talking to the owner about my WSP. He offered me $10 (US) for him. I snatched it! No more grouchy-butt! LOL! I am thrilled. Now I just don't have to deal with it! ...it would have been different if I'd been going for an aggressive tank, but that's not where I'm at this time...

Most reactions

Back