White Fluffy Patches On Bog Wood

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

rms

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi,

These have started appearing on my piece of bog wood. They rub off easy enough, but keep coming back. It's growing quite quickly and looks a bit like cotton wool. Is it algae and if so how do I get rid?

Thanks.

It's either bacteria or fungus (most probably fungus), it'll run it's course about a week or so (manual removal will speed it up) fish will be safe with it in it's tank.
Praecox%20rainbow%20prob..JPG

Yep, that's exactly it. Although mine doesn't look quite so impressive yet... 

Many thanks :)

I had just 4 threads of it on my large piece of bogwood it looked just like it had been wiped with cotton wool and some had snagged on the rough bits, Previously on earlier set up I removed the wood scrubbed it away and replaced it in the tank only to see it grow back in a few days (and this was on wood that had been scalded with boiling water on several occasions) If it persists or becomes a real issue perhaps a treatment of API Melafix would help speed things up still further :)

I think it's actually sap guys. I had the same thing appear over my bogwood, disappeared after a week or 2 and it's never come back.

Why thank you
smile.png
Ha ha. I stand corrected. When I first saw this in my tank, I honestly thought it was some kind of fish spawn/eggs!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back