White Film?

The-Raven

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I thought that this was bacteria, but there's way too much of it... there's this white filmy/stringy stuff on EVERY surface in my aquarium.

It's especially at the intake of my filter and where my powerhead shoots out.

Is it powdery stuff which rubs off? If so its limescale. Do you live in a hardwater area?

Dubby said:
Is it powdery stuff which rubs off? If so its limescale. Do you live in a hardwater area?
i do have very hard water, but have never had this problem in my aquarium days...

how do i get rid of it?

Still sounds like bacteria to me, if so give it time and it will dissapear. If it was limescale it would usually only appear around the top as water eveaporated. Bacteria blooms are very common in the early lives of tanks.

Jon

jflowers said:
Still sounds like bacteria to me, if so give it time and it will dissapear. If it was limescale it would usually only appear around the top as water eveaporated. Bacteria blooms are very common in the early lives of tanks.

Jon
yeah this isn't at the top of the water or anything, this is all over every item in my aquarium and it's rather unsightly... it will disappear though?

If its bacteria, yes, after a few days. One other thought, are you using sand and if so did it stir up real bad when you added water? sometimes the dust can settle over everything.

Jon

Most reactions

Back