White Cloudy Water

toxik

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Mar 4, 2006
Messages
87
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
New Jersey, America
This is getting most annoying. In my previous tank before it cracked, we did 1 40% water change and it cleared the water up instantly.
This time around we've done 3 35% water changes and it's still cloudy. It's a white cloudy, not green, brown or murky. In the old tank it was the rocks that clouded it up, but this time i rinsed them longer and in smaller batches in a larger container.
The filter is working, the pads get dirty in a day with brown crud on them but it's still cloudy.
 
wat is the water stats? this could be a bacteria boom has this tank cycled?
 
bacteria bloom.. your tank is cycling, It will go away on its own.
 
Agreed. Patience. Continue with water changes. Patience. Don't add clarifiers or additives. Patience. Don't overfeed...and then, more patience. It will resolve. SH
 
Hey,

I take it that it is a new tank that is still cycling or has just finished? I had major problems with mine due to white, cloudy water. I read up just about everything there was to read on it, and tried everything suggested, but just couldn't get the water to clear. In the end I took all my fish back to my LFS to look after until I got the problem sorted out as they where clearly distressed. Even with no fish in the tank the ammonia levels rocketed… like of the test kit scale. Apparently when there is not enough oxygen in the water, the cycle goes into reverse. I completely emptied the tank and started fresh, only this time I tried a fishless cycle. Everything seemed fine, and I was just about to put the fish back… then guess what happened again, yep the water went really white and cloudy and had a film over the surface!

In the end I bought I new filter. The filer I was running was more than adequate for the size of tank, but I went for the next model up anyway and put a really fine filter media in it (like really, really fine). I have never had any trouble since.

For the record though, I have since got a bigger tank, but am still using the same filter and have never had any trouble (although I didn't have to cycle the new tank as filter was just swapped over).

I guess what I am trying to say in a really long winded way, is that extra filtration until the tank is settled may be just what you need. However I have only been keeping fish for about two years, so you might want to speak to someone who really knows what they are talking about, just thought I would let you know about my troubles just in case it helps.

Good Luck!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top