White Cloudy Tank

tennis4you

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jul 26, 2007
Messages
105
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
USA - Ohio
About 6 weeks ago I tore the substrate (gravel) out of the 125 gallon tank and put in SMS for the plants in place of the gravel. I assume I rocked the cycle and had to start over. I have a canister filter and hoped that it had enough good bacteria in it to help me cycle faster.

After about 3 weeks the tank started to get cloudy. And not green cloudy, this is white cloudy. I waited about a week and a half and it did not clear up, but did not get worse either. So, being the impatient man that I am, I cleaned the filter (with fish water of course). That day the tank cleared right up and looked great, until 2 days ago (yesterday).

So my tank is cloudy again. Not sure why, not sure what the problem is. Do I need to just wait it out and see what happens? What would cause a white cloudy tank?
 
I would suggest a water change and wait to see what happens.
Might be a bacterial bloom or small algae bloom.
How long are the lights turned on?
Contact with sunlight?
 
I would also suggest some more water changes, i wouldnt clean the filter again so soon though..

You could just wait it out and carry on as normal and see if it goes but id go with the water changes first.
 
Hi,

White cloudiness is most likely a bacterial bloom, not an algae bloom.

Have a read of the "Bacterial Blooms" link in my sig below. That should help you immensely.

Cheers :good:

BTT
 

Most reactions

Back
Top