Which One?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

TammyLiz

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have a 55 gallon tank with 5 three-spot gouramis and I am planning on putting a schooling fish in there with them, most likely rosey barbs. And its planted. So, I want a small school/group (5?) of an interesting catfish or loach to put in there, hopefully something that won't ruin my plants, and hopefully not too messy. I've never kept any catfish or loaches but as I am researching which would be best for this tank I feel like I want them all!
What has caught my eye for this tank is synodontis eupterus (saw some in my LFS), zebra loaches, and yoyo loaches. I haven't seen either of those loaches in my LFS but I could check to see if they can order them. If I go with one of the loaches I would be leaning toward the zebras. Does anyone see a problem with my planned setup? Which should I get? How many? Like I said, never kept bottom dwelling fish at all before, but I am excited about it. I am anxiously looking forward to your opinions! :fun:
BTW my ph is 6.8 here, and relatively soft. Not sure how sensitive these guys are.

Loaches arent catfish.

Synodontis eupterus grow to around 8 inches and can be aggressive toward their own kind unless kept in large tanks. From the sounds of things a group of Corydoras would suit your needs best.

Loaches arent catfish.

Synodontis eupterus grow to around 8 inches and can be aggressive toward their own kind unless kept in large tanks. From the sounds of things a group of Corydoras would suit your needs best.

Yes, I know loaches aren't catfish, which is why I said "catfish or loach" instead of just "catfish", since I was considering loaches, too. With everything being so separated in these forums it can be hard to decide which place to ask a question!
I had heard a lot of conflicting information on how big the synodontis eupterus get, which is one of the reasons why I was asking here about them. They're really cute, although, I wouldn't want to get something that would grow out of my tank. How large of a tank would they need? It would be neat to set up a tank with one or more of them (I have heard conflicting information on whether they should be kept in groups or not, too) in a tank with a few dafodil cichlids. Would that work? Not that I actually have a tank to do that ATM. The largest empty tank I have now is a 20 gallon high (24" long). I guess that would be too cramped for them. :) Since I apparantly don't have a tank large enough for a syno I will go post in the proper section to ask about the loaches.

Most reactions

Back