Which Killifish To Stock?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

WoodyAqua

Reaction score
Hi guys

Right i have a 32 x 12 x 14 inch tank fully cycled with sand live plants rocks etc.. just over 20 gallons i think

I came across killis recently and would love to keep some.

What would you recommend im not too bothered about breeding but would just like a tank full of nice colourful killis.

Which killis and how many would you recommend i can keep in my tank.

Also there is currently two dwarf gouramis in the tank could they be tank mate? if not i have a suitable home for them.

Any advice tips would be appreciated

Thanks

Hi Woody,
Killifish are really not a social fish when it comes to stocking in Community aquaria. Some will adapt more than others due to size (too big or too small), Water quality and Temperament (boisterous or retiring). I would suggest you look at Fundulopanchax gardneri Nigerianus sp., Aphyosemion australe or striatum if your looking for colour. Steer away from the annual sp. such as Nothobranchius and most of the New world types (Americas) are not too colourful.
Also I would be wary of the commly available Aplochelius lineatus and its colour morphs (golden wonders etc)
You will only be able to keep one male though as they will fight/bully to a certain degree and provide him with a harem of 2-3 females.
Provide a dimly lit tank or one with floating plants to achieve this because the colours will not be as vivid under bright lighting.
And remember a tight fitting lid is essential.

I hope that helps.
Regards
C

Yeah i checked these out very nice looking fish so u would recommend only keeping 4 fish max in my tank? 1 male and 3 females.. was hoping to be able to keep a few more but im happy with this too.. any ways round this? diffent species of male etc?

My tank only has an 18watt tube so less than 1wpg.

Thanks for the advice

I would also have suggested Epiplatys dageti monrovia as a surface swimmer (not to brightly coloured though) but you already have gouramis.
The essence is, if you want to minimise bullying then you need to go with a lot of fish 6 males or so but you would then need to have a vast number of females to combat such traits.
ATB
C

I have Golden Panchax in a community tank and they have always been really placid!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back