Where Have All The Hedgerows Gone - 30 Litre Opti-White

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SuperColey1

Planted Section
Reaction score
Technical Specs:
30 litre Opti-white aquarium (L 40cm, H 30cm, D 30cm)
Fluval U1 Internal filter
BeamsWork 9 x 1W LED Clip on luminaire (2 hours morning, 5 hours evening)
No heater or filter

Fertilisation 1.5ml Lush Max weekly
Plants: Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo', Ammania Bonsoi, Staurogyne Repens, Microsorum Pteropus 'Narrow'.
Substrate: Akadama
Hardscape - Manzanita & Mopani scraps. Granite stones.
Livestock - 9 x Danio Margaritatus (Celestial Pearl Danio / Galaxy Rasbora) and 100s of Cherry Shrimp (Neocaridina Davidii 'Red)

A bit of a break from my normal journals where I develop the ideas and plan an aquascape before showing setup pictures and then into the growth stages.

This scape was a birthday present to my Son 6 months ago for his 9th birthday. Basically it is just scraps of hardscape that I had on hand and plants/cuttings from other scapes that I have going. He is still at the watching stage at the moment and I do the maintenance but I was happy to oblige when he said he wanted a 'fish tank' and we can't just have a 'fish tank' in our house can we. It has to be an aquascape.

At the beginning I set the hardscape in and then laid Narrow fern on some flat Mopani pieces at the back, poked some Staurogyne Repens and Ammania Bonsoi in around the stones/wood and then laid Monte Carlo cuttings all over the empty substrate.

It went through a 6 week DSM period hidden in a cupboard before putting it in his bedroom on his birthday while he was at school.
The photoperiod is split so that it comes on at 7am and goes off at 9am so he can view it in the morning before school and it then comes on 3pm until 8pm in the evenings.

This is an ultra low maintenance setup. I don't do anything to it between fortnightly cleanings and that is just wiping glass and squeezing the filter sponges. I leave the central outcrop to gain some height over time.

The name derives from the first thought I had when I filled it up. It reminded me of those little patches in the middle of farmer's fields that used to be part of a hedgerow.

IMG_1777.JPG

IMG_1778.JPG

IMG_1779.JPG

IMG_1782.JPG

IMG_1790.JPG

IMG_1792.JPG

IMG_1793.JPG

IMG_1794.JPG

IMG_1795.JPG

IMG_1798.JPG

Very lovely. Thanks for sharing. That brightness of green is my favorite thing about a planted tank. 

I wish I had the patience, knowledge and skill to put something like this together. It is just WOW. Thank you for sharing.

The knowledge = Anyone can do this kind of setup as long as you have the gear.  Lowish light, 6 to 8 hour photoperiod.  A filter that is higher turnover than the tank would suggest it needs by old school suggestions (this one I think is 250lph so nearly 10x)

Then the patient bit is plant heavily and DSM so from the start you have the plants on your side  4 weeks is normally the suggestion but I do 6 to 8 weeks because I want the attached plants (or mosses if I use them) to be properly attached.

Add the fish after a month of the tank running.  This kind of setup can go monthly water changes with no problems and can last for years if you are after a longer lasting setup.

The carpet needs 'mowing' every 3 to 4 months and the plants at the back thinning out occasionally but again every 3 to 4 months.

Simples
smile.png
 All in the preparation.

As for Skill I just plonked the plants in that one area not central just off to the side toward the rear of the tank.  Didn't really eyeball anything to position things in any way.

ricbea said:
I wish I had the patience, knowledge and skill to put something like this together. It is just WOW. Thank you for sharing.
But that's why we're all here! To share and/or gain knowledge. I've learned so much over the years and every now and then have managed to help someone else. 
I really enjoy when member like SuperColey1 make posts like this. He didn't just post his tank, he listed the fertilizer, plants, livestock, etc. He doesn't just make it look easy, he tells you how you can make it easy for yourself. 

exactly something like the above is pretty basic but is a WOW factor to most people.  Those who are very very into aquascaping will maybe see it as very simple and a bit 'meh'. :)  My Son thinks its the bestest fish tank ever. Thanks Dad :) which is exactly the response I hoped for.

Most people see the fantastic scapes and try to aim for the top straight away.   The sort of scape above is well within the reach of beginners.  The top scapes you see aren't.  They take a lot of knowledge, experience and more importantly £££/$$$ and loads of maintenance/upkeep.

I would guess the price from scratch for the above ignore it being an opti white and say a standard off the shelf clearseal or similar:

Tank - £15
Light - £25
Filter - £20
Substrate (Akadama) Approx 4kg - £5 max
1 pot of staurogyne (£4)
3 pots of monte carlo (£12)
2 pots of narrow fern (£8)
1 pot of Ammania (£4) (You could ignore this one as I only put a few sprigs in)

Lush Max Fert - £5 would last a year or more on this tank.

Fish - What you want but limited IMO to Bororas or a few pygmy corys in a 30 ltr.

So without fish cost from scratch is £98.  Plant it, add enough water so you just see it at the front of the substrate.  Cover with cling film and turn the light on 16 hours a day.  Leave like this for 6 weeks.  Spray with a mister spray (trigger spray bottle thingamy) if things look like they are drying out and then recover with cling film.  After 6 weeks fill it via an airline so it doesn't blow the substrate everywhere and there ya go.  This scape looks about the same now as the day I flooded it.

Compare that with the competition scapes you see.  You are probably looking at a cost price of £1500 or more.  That is if you don't have anything to start with.  Remember many of these guys are at least sponsored to the level that people give them the plants etc.

So my point is the above, anyone can do if you get the preparation bit done right.  Research the 'Dry Start Method'.

I am contemplating the DSM on my ADA 60P with some HC Cuba. Just not sure I'll have the patience honestly. I love this tank, and I really hope my kids want a fish tank someday!!

Lovely tank SC. Good to have you posting again.

jag51186 said:
I am contemplating the DSM on my ADA 60P with some HC Cuba. Just not sure I'll have the patience honestly. I love this tank, and I really hope my kids want a fish tank someday!!

I don't know if Monte Carlo is available in the US but it is much more forgiving than HC.  HC is a slower grower and much prefers a CO2 setup. It is possible to do low tec with HC, just not as easy.

Monte Carlo full name is Micranthemum 'monte carlo':
http://tropica.com/en/plants/plantdetails/Micranthemum'MonteCarlo'(025TC)/4442

SuperColey1 said:

I don't know if Monte Carlo is available in the US but it is much more forgiving than HC.  HC is a slower grower and much prefers a CO2 setup. It is possible to do low tec with HC, just not as easy.

Monte Carlo full name is Micranthemum 'monte carlo':
http://tropica.com/en/plants/plantdetails/Micranthemum'MonteCarlo'(025TC)/4442

Yeah, I am planning a full on high tech setup, really looking forward to getting my feet wet in this area of the hobby! (Metaphorically only hopefully!
innocent.gif
) I hope you can help me with some input when I start fiddling with hardscape and planting!

If I am around I will. I am prone to disappearing periodically for months when my mood goes downward
smile.png

SuperColey1 said:
If I am around I will. I am prone to disappearing periodically for months when my mood goes downward
smile.png

Next time your mood goes downward, shoot me a PM... I can cheer up Eeyore!  :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back