What's the coolest and/or most useful aquarium related thing(s) you have bought.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishmanic

TFF Contest Czar
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
What cool and/or useful tool, equipment , decor, or other useful things have you bought?

One useful tool I have would be a grabber tool with which I am able to move around decor in my 24 inch tall hex tank without getting my arm soaked.
I also use it to put algae wafers in exact two spots to feed my 2 plecos at opposite ends of the tank.
I also use it occasionally around the house such as picking up things that fall behind the washer or dryer or reaching things on a tall shelf.
71boKVSXrAL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Last edited:
My water changing system is my most useful thing I have bought.

1 50' python syphon setup, (I use it strictly as a syphon)
1 50' garden hose with closable plastic garden spray (very flexible type)
1 large garden Y valve with brass quick connect to the utility sink downstairs.

It is the ideal water changing configuration. The tanks are all upstairs so the syphon gets 12' of water drop to maintain the syphon. I run the end out the dog door and into our lawn. The y valve on the utility sink allows me to adjust the water temp quickly, without having to run it through the whole hose, allowing me to open one valve opening to adjust the temp, and the other to allow me to fill the tanks. The garden sprayer allows me to turn off the water at the tank. I only keep fish that are suitable to my water parameters which means a 50% water change on a 40 and 75 gallon can be done in less than an hour. All hoses are drained and looped in such a way as to prevent kinking and hung in the garage between uses. I put the dechlorinator directly into the tank just before I start filling. I don't trust the python for filling with our water pressures hence the garden hose, it is the most expensive component. Everything is clean and quick, best system I have ever used.

I have this really nifty piece of driftwood. I'd take a picture of it but it is 100% covered by plants so well you can't see it - actually here is a picture (you have to take my word for it that it is super duper nifty); it is pretty long (around 14 inches) and last time i saw my clown pleco about 8 months ago he was at the very edge of it; for a long time he lived under it but since i can no longer see it i have no idea if he still lives there or somewhere else these days...
wood.jpg
--
Oh wait - i have a picture when i first set up the tank - this is what that area used to look like:
wood2.jpg

How things change over the years.... This will teach me about putting a little java fern on top of my drift wood....

My Asian Fisherman ornament is the coolest decor in my tank. I allow him to fish in my tank as long as he throws back any fish he catches. The fish seem to swarm around him. I named my 35 gallon hex tank "Fisherman's Paradise."

I like my water diffuser for adding water without messing up the tank and washing my plants around. It hooks over the edge of the aquarium so it doesn't go anywhere.

I get more than one because I've had fish for so long.

Artemia cysts - starting hatching live brine shrimp transformed my hobby.

A central, linear piston air pump - quiet and trustworthy.

A water changing hose. If the pump is the heart, the python is the guts, so to speak.

I get more than one because I've had fish for so long.

Artemia cysts - starting hatching live brine shrimp transformed my hobby.

A central, linear piston air pump - quiet and trustworthy.

A water changing hose. If the pump is the heart, the python is the guts, so to speak.
I want to know where to look for that air pump.

I bought mine from a US company called jehmco. Even with the weak Canadian dollar and border costs, it has been worth every penny.

My most useful is definitely my electric siphon. My father in law made me a usb cable (which is 5v) for it (when it only needs 3v) to speed it up. Fills up 36l in just over a minute :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back