What’s the best option

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Guyb93

Fish Herder
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Ok I currently hve 20+ two week old electric blue acara in a 40l tank , my breeding pair in the main tank have just laid again and will hatch in around 3 days normally, the presence of the fry in the tank cause a little mayhem as it’s community and they just get eaten but parents try very hard to protect them , so my question is should I put the new fry in with the two week old fry ? My thoughts are they are going to be eaten either way , so why not give the two week old fry the protein and save the mayhem in the main tank ? Or is there a chance that the two week fry won’t eat the new Hatcher’s ?

Ok I currently hve 20+ two week old electric blue acara in a 40l tank , my breeding pair in the main tank have just laid again and will hatch in around 3 days normally, the presence of the fry in the tank cause a little mayhem as it’s community and they just get eaten but parents try very hard to protect them , so my question is should I put the new fry in with the two week old fry ? My thoughts are they are going to be eaten either way , so why not give the two week old fry the protein and save the mayhem in the main tank ? Or is there a chance that the two week fry won’t eat the new Hatcher’s ?
How big would you say the 2 week fry are? How big are fry when they first hatch?

How big would you say the 2 week fry are? How big are fry when they first hatch?
The two week are around 1cm and the new batch will be a quarter of the size for the first 2-4 days

The two week are around 1cm and the new batch will be a quarter of the size for the first 2-4 days
That's super hard to say then. I think that the fry might be ok with the 2 week old ones, but I don't think that they will be eaten. It might be that you lose some to the ones that are a bit bigger but overall a few should survive.

That's super hard to say then. I think that the fry might be ok with the 2 week old ones, but I don't think that they will be eaten. It might be that you lose some to the ones that are a bit bigger but overall a few should survive.
Thts my thinking and even if they do get eaten I’d rather my fry eat them than my main tank fight over the right of the meal lol

What species inhabit the tank with the blue acaras?
Geophagus, keyholes , green severum, Colombian tetra corys and a pleco , it’s a bit of a mad house, but my breeding pair of acara are the dominant fish atm so they are very successful at breeding but the temptation of 300fry brings out some courage in the rest of the tank kind of thing

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back