what's the best cannister filter?

kev h

Reaction score
Hi all!!

I've been running my Fluval 404 on a 70 gallon tank, I seem to be constantly changing the impeller and o ring to the point where it's going to get filed...... under b for bin..

The question... does every cannister filter have these in built flaws? am I unlucky? or, is there a superior alternative to the fluval??? IYHO???

It's a pain to clean, noisy and expensive for replacement parts..

Any ideas peeps?

cheers

Kev

I like the Marineland Magnum filters. The 350 in particular. Very versatile, and so far very dependable.

Since ur in the UK, u probably wont find a magnum anywhere, I would suggest an eheim external, theres afew different models out :)

THE most hassle free filter imo is the Rena XP series. I have an XP3 and it is a very simple design and easy to maintain. Very quiet to boot!!! I have a Fluval 404 as well and mine runs fine. I think the design is a bit fussy though and too over elaborate considering what it claims to do as opposed to what it really needs to do (and that is efficiently filter your water)!! How long have you had yours? Could be faulty!!

Ps. Do you have a snail problem? I've found with any filter that snail 'spawn' can gunk 'em up (or lots of newly hatched baby snails that find their way in there).... :thumbs:

Got one of my magnums at petsmart.com for $88. the prosystem which includes bio wheels and a gravel cleaaner. I seen the deluxe system which is a step down at the local fish store for $229. Ive also seen great deals on canister filters at ebay. The magum is see through for easy visibility and you can switch out different types of filter media. Very nice.

I also use a Fluval 404 and am on my impeller in two years.
Not sure if I will buy one again. Im thinking about building a bi-filter similar to ones used in a pond system. The Magnum will be my next filter I think.

Most reactions

Back