What Temperature And Size Tank Do 2 Dwarf Gouramis Need?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
A male and female pair? About 70litres /20gal minimum you could get away with if it was heavily planted and the female could hide away from the male. 26 degrees is a good temp.

Two females probably the same, two males I would not recommend at all, even in a tank four times that big.

I'd say a tank with at least a 75x30cm footprint, heavily planted, with the heater set at 22C (if the water gets warmer to ~27C because of sunlight/ ambient temp during the summer, they will be fine).

N0body Of The Goat said:
I'd say a tank with at least a 75x30cm footprint, heavily planted, with the heater set at 22C (if the water gets warmer to ~27C because of sunlight/ ambient temp during the summer, they will be fine).
I always thought they preferred it warmer; most sources say 25 - 28 degrees.

Dwarfs need a temp of between 24-28 oC. I have my tank set to 25, and crank it up to 26 during the colder months.
It is all about surface area for gourami - as they partially breath air from the surface. As long as your tank is wide enough for them to dart around it should be fine. I've had a pair of dwarfs in my old 90L 2ft wide tank, and they loved it.

Just remember, if you get gourami you must provide some heavy vegetation for them to hide amongst. Especially if you get a male and female - If the male has line of sight to the female, he will almost certainly kill her through over exertion. Give her some hiding spots to get away from him :)

Good luck!

My male - as in profile pic is a beaut!

I have never witnessed him chasing the females, more so female chasing female - I have them in a 180 litre with the ratio 1:4 and heavily planted, they are my favourites in the tank.

One of my females pictured in my sig :

Also if you need to differentiate sex look at my profile where the male has orange near caudal fins, they also have a slight blackening under their mouth and female has a distinct grey line - (also visible in my sig pic) running from her eye to tail fin :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back