What Size For A Black Gost Knife Or Two

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I would recommend at the least, for a permanent home, a 6x2x2ft tank (180g), which even then is a bit small considering they can get to 20" and I have heard of ones at 2ft.
An 8x3-4x3 foot (540-718g) tank would be much better. 

I have mine in a 72x18x23" (129g) tank which will be upgraded before he/she gets too big. Still only a few inches.
This is not good practice at all really as you should have a tank big enough to house fish for life before purchasing really but I didn't have enough will power to not get my dream fish once I got the tank
smile.png

Do not keep more than one though unless you are looking into something very, very large.

I noticed you've mentioned a clown black ghost knife before, and I am not in any way trying to be rude or attack you, but there is no such thing..at least not that I have seen.
I imagine you saw a regular clown knife which gets even bigger than the black ghost so would need a bigger tank.

My BGK is in a 90gal tank, tis only quite small.

I was talking to some people who keep multiple BGK in the same tank and i was stunned at the size of the tank they had them in and the amount, they are all growing nicely and actually getting along (no i wont go into it, cause i know it will be frowned upon lol

Im just gonna say, for adulthood a 180 gallon as ninj mentioned would be ideal, they can live a large portion of their life in a 75+ tank though, but shouldnt be kept in this size tank for too long.

I would advise against getting 2 or more together, they can be quite territorial with eachother as they grow and even kill eachother. If you want two together consider a 1,000+ gallon tank.

ok im not getting one
Ninjouzata said:
I would recommend at the least, for a permanent home, a 6x2x2ft tank (180g), which even then is a bit small considering they can get to 20" and I have heard of ones at 2ft.

I have mine in a 72x18x23" (129g) tank which will be upgraded before he/she gets too big. Still only a few inches.
This is not good practice at all really as you should have a tank big enough to house fish for life before purchasing really but I didn't have enough will power to not get my dream fish once I got the tank
smile.png

Do not keep more than one though unless you are looking into something very, very large.

I noticed you've mentioned a clown black ghost knife before, and I am not in any way trying to be rude or attack you, but there is no such thing..at least not that I have seen.
I imagine you saw a regular clown knife which gets even bigger than the black ghost so would need a bigger tank.
wink.png
 well thats wat the lfs called them.
unsure.png

BGK can get very very big.
People who are under the impression that the fish stays small in their small aquariums is because they actually stay small. Their growth is stunted, but in the inside, they grow. They develop crooked spines, then eventually can't swim/breathe and then die at a young age.

I'm sure you love your BGK and once this happens, you will be very sad.

l_l_l said:
BGK can get very very big.
People who are under the impression that the fish stays small in their small aquariums is because they actually stay small. Their growth is stunted, but in the inside, they grow. They develop crooked spines, then eventually can't swim/breathe and then die at a young age.

I'm sure you love your BGK and once this happens, you will be very sad.
I dont think he has one :/ and i dont think hes getting one now.

SeanTrollope said:
ok im not getting one

smile.png

wink.png
 well thats wat the lfs called them.
unsure.png
Unfortunately that can happen often :( But now you know! There are quite a lot of knifefish actually. 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back