What Happened To My Fish?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

brian24

Reaction score
I just bought a 75 gallon aquarium that included 5 fish: 1 Black Shark (~5-6 inches), 1 Silver Dollar, 1 Angelfish, and 2 Gourami. (All are a pretty good size)

The Black Shark died about 1.5 days after I got them setup in the temporary tank. All other fish seem to be doing fine.

I moved them into a 40 gallon tank that I set up temporarily. All of the water in the tank came from the 75 gallon. The previous owner claims he had not cleaned it in about a month. All of the tests that I ran were normal except the PH was low (~6.4-6.5), Ammo ~0ppm, Nitrite ~0ppm, Nitrate just a little over 0ppm. I added some PH Neutralizer to the water, but it seemed to have no effect. I'm new to this so I may not have ran the tests correctly. I'm taking a water sample to the LFS today to have them test it.

I kept the gravel and set the wet/dry filter tower down into the 40gallon aquarium to keep it wet. The water temp dropped down to about 74 degrees at the end of 24 hours so I setup the heater and it came up to about 78. I dropped the setting a little bit to try to get it around 76-77. I put the fake stone decoration that he had into the tank along with the air line that went into it. I added a new AquaClear filter to the 40 gallon to provide the filtering and was sure to rinse out all of the filter media first.

After about 24 hours, I added in some live plants that I had been given and that may not have been the healthiest at that time. I rinsed them off in a bucket of water that had come from the 75 gallon tank before putting them in. The shark seemed to go down hill faster at about the time I added these plants. I don't know all of the types of plants that I added except that one is an Amazon Sword.

That is about all I can think of. He seemed to be suffering all along, it only seemed to really get bad after the plants were added. Do you have any ideas of what might have killed my Black Shark so quickly, but didn't seem to affect the others?

Thanks for you help. If you need any other information, please let me know.

Brian

The LFS gave me the answer. Turns out I was doing the Nitrate test wrong. Nitrates were through the roof (somewhere in the neighborhood of 100-160 I'd say). I also found out the shark was about 9-10 years old and they had another one that just died about a month ago so it may have been frail to begin with. Lesson learned I guess.

I did a 50% water change and it brought it down to near 40 which is still too high, but it is better. I will be moving them back to the 75 gallon in a few days and will be adding a bunch of fresh water so that should get it back into range. Unfortunately I forgot about the advice the LFS gave me to test the PH of the tap water to see how different it was. My PH went from about 6.4 to about 7.2 with that water change. Now the Silver Dollar seems to be struggling a little. :-( Hopefully he can make it through, though I don't plan to keep him for too long anyway, but I of course would still rather find him a good home. Poor fish paying for my inexperience.

Most reactions

Back