What For My Aqua Cube ?

archamfr

Fish Crazy
Joined
Oct 4, 2006
Messages
376
Reaction score
0
Points
0
so....im getting an aqua cube :D
i was thinking of just having a real nice male betta in there.. but now im not so sure, because i think it will look real empty. so i need some help/ideas.
i wanna get nice bright, colorful fish, but please dont say tetras of any kind.

and maybe ideas for fish that will go with a fighter happily for sure ?


thnx for all help :good:
 
hmm, this is a bit tricky. Without tetras, you'll have trouble finding a colourful fish that will fit in an aquacube. I would say guppies, but the betta might have their fins off. And this is all considering we ever get our aquacubes!
 
dont get guppies, anything with big fins is a no no, the betta will see it as another male and attack it. It shouldnt look empty with a betta, 5.5g is a nice size for one.
 
Without tetras, you'll have trouble finding a colourful fish that will fit in an aquacube
Arn't Killifish colourful enough, I'd a thought an Aquacube would be an ideal species tank for certain types of Killi.
Regards
BigC
 
I saw killifish for the first time today...my lfs had like 5 tanks full of them. It's made me consider getting one or two for my aquacube...but i also saw microrasbora 'galaxy' for the first time today too, so both get my vote! :D

BigC, do you think the two would be compatible? And is there big differences in the needs of different species of killifish? I cant remember what species my lfs had(there was two i think).
 
Hmmm... How about a Marine Tank? That's what I am doing with mine. Of course it's going to cost a little more. But that will definately be colorful... Think about it, a few clownfish, a fire fish, and some Inverts! :hey:
 
In 5.5gals? :blink: I know next to nothing about marine tanks, but 'surely you must be joking'? :huh:
 
I'm not familar with the micro rasbora species but I imagine they are rather small. If you are trying to fill all the water layers. I would choose Ps. annulatus (surface loving species of killifish) some of your favoured micro rasboras and for the bottom some Corydoras habrosus. Some floating plant such as Salvinia natans and a nice small grained natural gravel substrate (not sand) plant some Anubias nana into this and I bet it would look stunning. Don't forget the water changes though as smaller tanks need more attention than larger ones.
As for the idea of the nano cube marine tank with all those fish and inverts, it's a recipe for disaster!
 
hmm killifish...maybe, but ive never seen any in my locals, so i dont know.

another idea is a grow out tank for my mollies/guppies, as i have 4 females atm, and am gettin another male from this batch so..hmm..

but maybe just a real nice betta.. and a few tetras

but maybe i could add 2 nice breeding guppies in there to try and get nice offspring ?? grr i dunno lol..
 
I'm not familar with the micro rasbora species but I imagine they are rather small. If you are trying to fill all the water layers. I would choose Ps. annulatus (surface loving species of killifish) some of your favoured micro rasboras and for the bottom some Corydoras habrosus. Some floating plant such as Salvinia natans and a nice small grained natural gravel substrate (not sand) plant some Anubias nana into this and I bet it would look stunning. Don't forget the water changes though as smaller tanks need more attention than larger ones.
Some of that sounds similar to what i was going to do! :D I was going to go for some Salvinia natans on the top, Bacopa australis and a very small piece of java fern on bogwood for midground plants, Marsilea hirsuta as a carpeting(hopefully) foreground plant and some fast growing plants like Hygrophila polysperma as background plant(also to stop algae growing in the early days). I've tried to keep the plant selection relatively fast growing and low light tolerant(only an 11w light on the aquacube). I'll have co2 in the form of a nutrafin unit as well, and ADA Malaya substrate. I probably will go for the microrasbora 'galaxy', and will have 4-6 depending on how much money i have, one or two otocinclus plus some small tiger shrimp instead of corys(and a marimo moss ball for them if theres space).

The tank will probably have a pH around 6.5, and i'll keep the temperature at 24-25 degrees celcius.
If the stats of the tank are all good and working out and there seems to be space
I'll check all my LFS's for killifish, but if they don't have any i may just get a nice female betta.
Is it true that most killifish only live for a year? Also, how much are killifish usually and where can you get them? I've seen the eggs up for sale on ebay but never adult fish -_- .
 
In 5.5gals? :blink: I know next to nothing about marine tanks, but 'surely you must be joking'? :huh:

Nope, here is one featured in PFK;
nanoreef.jpg


They're called 'Nano Reefs'.
:good:

Holy poo, ancient topic!
Sorry guys! :blush:
It came up in the "similar topics" section :sad:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top