What Fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kooshty-dude

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i want to add something abit different to my tank apart from cichilds. i know there is certain fish that you can but what really?

Can you give us a list of the fish that you currently have or plan on getting and the size and dimensions of your tank?

Can you give us a list of the fish that you currently have or plan on getting and the size and dimensions of your tank?
i have a trigon 350
pseodotropheus lombardoi (pair)
cobalt blues (2 pairs)
yellow labs
strawberry peacocks (pair)
couple of others not sure about

Are you 2 a double-act or has this just got really confused? :lol:

i have a trigon 350
pseodotropheus lombardoi (pair)
cobalt blues (2 pairs)
yellow labs
strawberry peacocks (pair)
couple of others not sure about

You might consider posting pics of the fish you're not sure about, we're pretty good at identifying fish on here.
To start, mbuna aren't pairing fish, they are harem breeders, where 1 male will mate with as many females as possible, so it wise to have several females to every male to avoid the male constantly trying to get the female to breed (there are a few species such as labs, and p.acei that can have multiple males with little problems).

So I would suggest adding some female p.lombardoi, m.callainos (cobalt blues), and if you don't already have around 5 labs, I would up their numbers.

Without knowing the other unidentified fish in the tank, I really don't feel comfortable suggesting any new species due to possible agression problems.

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that 3rd poster is different to the OP? :rolleyes:

Thank god for that - thought i was going mad for a minute. :hyper:

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that 3rd poster is different to the OP? :rolleyes:
:lol: Not just you Ferris!

You know Ferris, they say the first thing that goes is your mind. :hey:
I noticed too, just figured it was a husband and wife team like a few others on here.

I was thinking the same hence the 1st question - come on kooshty-dude/miss_cichild, put me out of my misery. Are you talking about the same tank? :huh:

1st kooshty dude never logged off my computer so i added the topic under his name
2nd i actually do have pairs both males have found a female each and only breed with their selected one
i have always had weird animals that never behave the way they should

Thanks for clearing that up. :good:

To return to your original question re non-cichlid tankmates, some bottom-feeders would be a good addition. Most of the Synodontis catfish species work well with Mbuna as do Bristlenose Plecs.

As for free swimming fish, i personally wouldn't reccommend anything with Malawi's. People have had some success with RTBS but they are exceptions, an RTBS cannot defend itself against any Mbuna species that takes a dislike to it.

Hope that helps

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back