What disease is this?

sucky fish are cool

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have a swordtail with some kind of disease.

It started off with a dark area inside it along its body between stomach area and tail. Then the dark area became a lump visible from both sides. Now the lump has eaten away part of the outside scales and I have noticed a new patch of whitish fungus today by his dorsal fin.

I have been treating with melafix and today added some tonic salt to the water. Not sure what else to do. He is not eating very much but is still quite active in the tank.

Any suggestions? Am I treating this correctly?

Idk m8 - but it sounds quite nasty :/

How long has the tank been running and what are your water parameters and maintenance schedule like? - any other inhabitants?

An antibacterial and salt wont hurt but it would also be nice to try and work out whats wrong -_-

:)

Perhaps it's some kind of nasty parasites ... n the fungus is prolly a secondary infection :(

The water is fine no traceable nitrates, or ammonia and the PH is okay, although my PH is always slightly acidic. The other fish are fine.

My tank has been set up for about 3 years, so it is well established. I do have problems sometimes in winter, which is this time of year for me in New Zealand. but I thought that I had managed to get around this one because I have put an extra heater in the tank.

I was thinking it could be a parasite and the fungus was secondary, and I have wormed the whole tank with a recommended medication about 3 weeks ago.

Would you do anything different? I only did a water change yesterday.

I have neon tetras, harlequin rasboras, a dwarf gourami, pleco ( who is just getting over a fungal thing as well) and a siamese fighting fish.

The dark area first appear about a week before I did the worming.

How's ur swordtail now? I hope it's doing better when adding salt to it.

Can u describe how the lump looks like? Could it be a tumour? Or digestive blockage or any kinds?

The swordtail "Pearl" is still alive.

The lump is not a lump anymore, but has kind of exploded and there is now quite a deep hole where the lump was, but it does seem to be healing as it looks like the scales around the hole are starting to grow back.

To be honest I am amazed he is still alive, and feel really bad for him.

Would it be possible to be hole in the head disease, even though its not on the head?

He is also still quite active, swims normally doesn't rest on the bottom or near the top, but I don't think he is eating.

Any other advice. :unsure:

:huh:
I am a bit concerned after reading some other emails in the forum.

I have used salt (as per my previous emails) and I have a pleco (ie no scales) will he be okay with the salt. He looks alright at the moment but I don't want him to be harmed trying to save another fish that very well may die.

Any advice?

:fish: :-(

Just to update anyone reading this. Pearl is now RIP, sleeping with the fishes.

And I have done a 30% water change to get rid of some of the salt in case it is toxic to my sucky fish.

Thanks for all the advice, but Pearl was probably a goner. He had started to get other dark patches and i am thinking cancer, but not sure.

:( sorry m8,

plecs and other scaleless fish can be quite intolerent of salt - but small doses may not stress him too much.... - the water changes will soon dilute it...

as you say could have been C or other internal infection/parasite....

:)

Most reactions

Back