What Did I See?

karneval

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
A few days ago I was in the LFS, just looking around, and in one of their display tank (a ten gallon setup with platies, cories, and some tetras) I noticed a fish I'd never seen before. I called over one of the employees and asked what it was. He said, "Wow, I dunno. This sounds crazy, but it looks like a baby arowana!" He called over another person, and I found out it was a killifish!

I was really excited, since I'd never seen any in person before. It didn't have much color to it and just sat by itself in the corner of the tank.

While looking around, I noticed another species of killi. Their tails were rounded and blue. The dorsal fin was pink. Their body was solid, and had no stripes on it. I wasn't able to get pictures, and I don't remember the name on the tag.

All I know is they were sold pair only for $15.

So, any ideas? Obviously without pictures it'll be pretty hard, but. I thought I'd ask the experts anyway. Thanks! :)

Sounds like a common Blue Panchax (Aplocheilus Panchax)
$15 seems quite a lot to pay. But it is a LFS.
Regards
BigC

Thanks, BigC. I've lurked around the Killi forum to know you'd be the one who could answer my questions.

The Blue Panchax looks like the first fish I saw, the one the LFS guy said looked like a baby arowana, but not like the second killies I saw. I've been searching around the internet and haven't been able to find any that look like those.

The second I'm at a loss to see what it could be, problems lies in that there are so many colour morphs to contend with these days which make the job doubly difficult without pics for positive identification.
Try get some pics even if its from a mobile phone.
Regards
BigC

I'll see if I can get over there this weekend and get some pics, and the name the LFS gave them :good:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back