What A Kurfuffle!

Truck

UKAPS
Reaction score
geez, marine lighting!

been doing my head in trying to get round it all.
as most of you know im setting up my second marine tank.

i have been getting so wound up with having to upgrade my lighting, because its so expensive... then i found this!
ebay item number : 280197744999

72 watts of PC lighting, 36 watts daylight and 36 watts actnic, what are your thoughts? its got to be better than a 15watt T8 daylight bulb, im only intersted in keeping softies. such as polyps etc and maybe some mushrooms. will this be ok?

bearing in mind if there isnt enough daylight i can buy another one of these or buy a starter unit and fit a daylight bulb.

Its about £17.50 postage within america. To ship to england its going to cost you a fortune. Bad idea imo.

Its about £17.50 postage within america. To ship to england its going to cost you a fortune. Bad idea imo.

the guy selling it says it will cost $34 which is around £21, but this is a much cheaper option than buying a luminaire or 2 twin starter units.

is 72 watts over 60 litres enough for softies? i can always buy 2 or replace the actinic with a daylight bulb.

does 72 watts of 10k light sound enough for softies? i can always buy 2 of these so i have 3 daylight bulbs and 1 actinic

There is no set rule for watts/gallon or whatever.
Depends on coral placement, how deep the tank is, quality of bulb - loads of things.

I would say that softies are probably going to be ok under there as some tanks i have seen are really dull and their softies open up. I would look for a 2nd hand light in teh UK first though. Be a pain for returns etc too

Two 36W 50:50 PC lighting units will be fine on a rekord 60; plenty of light for soft corals and even many of the LPS corals. Trust me once you get some soft corals the desire to buy more and more expanding to the ever greater design is inevitable. If I was you look around on the web (places like 1st4aquatics.com and thelivingsea.com) for T5 starter and tubes for the PC lighting; pricing isn't that bad. All you have to do is make that hood your talking about and your all set.

Regards

Most reactions

Back