Well this is interesting...

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Interesting article. Many many years ago my brother smuggled a fox kit, purchased from a fox fur farm in the US, with the intention of making it a pet. Within week he could not control it so he asked if I could look after it. I am pretty good with animals but the little creature was viscous, drawing blood from me many times. In the end I told him it was his responsibility and he euthanized it. They look very cute and cuddly but this one was definitely not cuddly and I suspect most are not. I can see why one would want to domesticate them though. It is interesting to note that some wild animals are friendlier than others. I know of people who have kept otters, raccoons, skunks, crows, wolves, and deer, but I have never heard of people raising foxes.

By the way my brother, and his friend that did the same thing at the same time, got in major trouble with the Conservation warden and customs, having to go to court twice. He escaped a serious charges only because the physical evidence was accidentally destroyed.

Interesting article. Many many years ago my brother smuggled a fox kit, purchased from a fox fur farm in the US, with the intention of making it a pet. Within week he could not control it so he asked if I could look after it. I am pretty good with animals but the little creature was viscous, drawing blood from me many times. In the end I told him it was his responsibility and he euthanized it. They look very cute and cuddly but this one was definitely not cuddly and I suspect most are not. I can see why one would want to domesticate them though. It is interesting to note that some wild animals are friendlier than others. I know of people who have kept otters, raccoons, skunks, crows, wolves, and deer, but I have never heard of people raising foxes.

By the way my brother, and his friend that did the same thing at the same time, got in major trouble with the Conservation warden and customs, having to go to court twice. He escaped a serious charges only because the physical evidence was accidentally destroyed.
They're wild animals. On the whole, they aren't meant to live with people. Like fish, they have different personalities. Some might acclimate to living with humans. But most won't. Humans spent thousands of years domesticating dogs and cats. We haven't done the same with foxes or other animals.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back