I'm curious about something... I know that water flow over your biomedia is important to keep your bacteria alive. But, how important is the rate at which the water flows over it?
For instance, if I put established biomedia into a brand new filter, and set the filter at its lowest setting... and, the rate at which the water flows over it, is lower than the rate which the bacteria was established in. Would there be significant die back? Or does it not actually matter, so long as there's water flow over it?
For instance, if I put established biomedia into a brand new filter, and set the filter at its lowest setting... and, the rate at which the water flows over it, is lower than the rate which the bacteria was established in. Would there be significant die back? Or does it not actually matter, so long as there's water flow over it?
Yes, that makes sense, and that's kinda what I figured as well. I just wasn't sure if a slower speed meant not enough aeration, or something. It does seem like there would be SOME die off, though, because the ammonia and nitrites are being delivered at too slow a rate to feed a big colony of bacteria.







