Water Movement

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Hamsnacks

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
For the following tank, where would you place let us say 2 Powerheads?
The tank will most likely just be carpeted plants with corydoras and tetras
How do you bring the debris to the overflow?

Dimensions:
72" Wide
30" Deep
24" High

I was thinking 1 powerhead on the bottom left side pointing across, and 1 on the bottom right pointed at an angle up towards the overflow?

Or do you think a Maxspect Gyre system would work better? If so, just 1 or should I have 1 on each end?

If you need more information I can provide pictures as well. Thank you!

In a tank this size the "debris" will settle into the substrate which is what should happen, and decompose to provide nutrients (especially CO2) for the plants.

The prime functions of a filter in an aquarium is to circulate the water and provide biological filtration. Fish species have differing needs when it comes to water currents, and this should be the guiding factor. Here you havee fish that have evolved to live in fairly quiet streams and creeks, or flooded forest, and rapid water movement is not needed nor appreciated.

I would however suggest you provide a normal stream flow, that is, from one end to the other, so it replicates a flowing stream. This is "natural" to the fish and will thus benefit. They should also be able to get out of the flow when they need to; a fish has to work harder to counter water currents and forcing them into such a situation where they are basically in "overdrive" 24/7 is not advisable.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back