Water lettuce and bugs, or at least flies.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Lynnzer

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I bought a large water lettuce around 5 weeks ago and it has split several times so I've moved some offsrping to other tanks.
I must say they are amazing for the likes of Chili rasboras etc to swim among the roots.
BUT ---- and I remember when I had them previously, I sort of became aware of lots of very small flies in the room that the tanks were in.
In fact, only yesterday I made comment that one of my Golden Tetras jumped clear out of the water to grab a fly that flew low across the top of the tank.
Having had 4 days off without much going on the fishtank room, I was in there today setting up a new nano tank. I noticed that the top of the water lettuce leaves on several plants had these small flies on them. The same one I had many years ago, and which are often laying dead on the windowsill, presumably looking to escape the room.
What the hell are they, and how do I get rid of them? They are too small to take a photo.
The tank is usually livestreamed during daylight hours (UK time) as it's on TOTM but even then I think the flies are too small to see. The stream is in my signature if you care to look. Of course you are free to vote for anyone in the contest.
I'll be setting up another tank to show on forum during the next week or so as well.

Last edited:
Impossible to say really, I've had water lettuce before, didn't have any flies in it/around it? Perhaps the stuff you got was grown outdoors and has bought some tiny eggs with it?

Did a lot of searching last night for water lettuce+bugs and found the answer.
Apparently they are aphids. They seem to be associated only with water lettuce though as they haven't invaded anywhere else. Must have come with the plant itself. Now all I have to do is find out how to rid myself of them with no damage to the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back