Warm white or cool?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Divinityinlove

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've moved the goldfish to a proper tank set up for now (still plan to move them to a pond soon).

This morning when I switched on this tank light, they ran and hid and haven't come out since.

I planted grass in this tank and moved an anubias into it so before taking out all plants, I need to consider ....

Do goldfish hate this bright/cool white kind of light or are they just a bit jumpy from the move yesterday and need a few days to settle?

This light has a blue option, is it better for them or do they stress with blue also? I've read somr varying info. I also know people use blue to grow plants, but just read an article about how red, pink and ultraviolet are the only good light really for best plant growth.

Is it worth buying a new warmer white light or any other suggestions for one that'd grow the plants and not stress the fish?

I like this light myself visually, its very clear to see everything. I think cool white (I've read) has quite a lot of blue light spectrum in it.... So should be good for plants too... I'm a bit confused.

Please help.

Goldfish are hiding in the left shaded area. Im going to turn off lights after a couple hours to keep plants alive and see if fish adapt or not.

IMG_20221006_110155.jpg

Was the room in daylight, or the room light on when you turned the tank light on? Turning tank lights on (and off) in a dark room is stressful as fish have no eyelids to protect their eyes when going from dark to bright light, and being plunged from bright light to sudden darkness stresses them as well.

Does the tank light have an option to slowly brighten, or are the only options on and off?

Not to my knowledge, goldfish usually aren't shy and will come out in any condition. Maybe they are not used to the tank yet, give it a few days

Essjay correctly identified the issue. It is not the spectrum (warm white or cool white), it is the light itself. All fish will be "spooked" when the tank light first comes on. This can be mitigated by having it come on when the room is well lit with daylight. Same can occur when the light goes off, the room must be well lit. This is very important because it takes fish some time to adjust, and they are especially sensitive to light (through their cells, not just their eyes).

I've got sunrise and sunset controllers now :)) I'm quite happy with the tank and the goldfish settled in nicely. They're having a great time until they're upgraded to a pond :)
WhatsApp Image 2022-10-30 at 12.57.00 (1).jpeg

Most reactions

Back