Want To Start A Marine Tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

shrew

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i have been keeping fish for just over a year got 2 tropical and 1 cold water but want to start a marine tank i am thinking of getting a rio 125 and adding a sump. my question is has anyone done this if so.

what equipment did they use

what size sump

how much live rock do i need

do i need to change the lights what sort i would light to keep the lid

what amount of stock can i have

i like the look of clowns(you have to keep these in pairs right?)humbug

starfish

shrimps

corals

a lot of questions thanks for looking

:hi: to the salty side of life :good:

Start by having a look at our Harry's tank - he has exactly the same tank you fancy.

The lighting will depend on what you would like to keep, coral wise?

Seffie x

well if you buy a new rio 125 you will have the T5 lights. just chage them to marine white and put two reflectors on and you are fine to keep soft corals and most lps corals :good: (well i just have two T5 ropicals lights with one reflector and my leather,star polyps and mushrooms are doing fine :good: i have a sump the tank isint drilled and the sump is 20L i could make it a little bit taller and longer to make it about 40L but that costs money. money that my dad.... i mean i dont have. :lol: i think for star fish you will need a bigger tank but you could get a serpent star but you will need to spot feed them. :good: you can have about 3 shrimps depending on there size :good: for fish i have 2 clown fish. and i am getting 1 purple dart fish,1 manderin and a six line wrasse or some other wrasse. i may get a small goby thing (forgot its name) it grow like 3.5cm so beacause i have sump the tank is now 140L. i have 15.5 kilos of live rock but i will get more to make it 20kilos.(only beacuse i will be upgrading and i dont have to buy as much live rock.) the least amount of live rock would be hard to say because of you are having a sump. if the sump was the same as mine then 14 kilos. its about 1kilo of live rock per 10L

That tank won't be big enough to support a starfishI would say.
Starfish are mostly voracious predators and need plenty of space to roam around, sand sifter need plenty of sand and will quickly eat everything they can catch (they are funny to watch but I spend most of my time worrying if mine has enough to eat.

Also Starfish do not have a long life expectancy in an aquarium if you are looking at the fancy starfish that is, Brittle stars should do fine in most aquariums if enough food is available, Sandsifters need a mature tank but I am unsure on life expectancy on these.

My wife wants to add one to my system but I will not add one I would rather they stayed in the sea than shorten the life drasticaly (Just my opionion) :)

thanks for all the replys i am new to this so i go to the fish shop see all the nice looking fish/stars and shrimp and want one off everything i am sure everyone was the same when they started

Hehe not just when we start we still do now :) but there are plenty of nice things you can put into a nano

Most reactions

Back