Want To Add Discus

keiths

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Apr 8, 2006
Messages
61
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
St. Louis, MO
I have a 55 gallon tank stocked with 3 gourami's, 2 SAE's, 1 gold nugget pleco, 9 neon tetra, a couple other small tetra.

I'm wanting to add some discus to my tank. Would it be alright with these other fish? What would be the ideal water temperature for this? I'm running around 79 right now, I figure I would have to push it up to at least 82 or so. Would my gold nugget pleco be alright with that? Would my neon tetras be alright with it? I've seen tanks with neons and plecos before, are one of them just not living under ideal parameters?
 
I have never heard of Discus with gouramis but it could happen but as has already been said. I dont think Discus are for beginners, even with books, net and this site I do think that they would be very hard to keep.
 
Discus are not hard to keep providing you have a sound knowledge of fish keeping and are extremely strict with your water quality. As for keeping grouamis with discus, I have 3 in with my discus and have no problems whatsoever. You will need to raise your temp to at least 82f and lower your ph to roughly 6.5-7 but 7 is the absolute max really.
 
For a time I had a golden gourami with my discus and he was fine. Your SAE might attach and suck on the discus slim coat though.

With all the tank raised discus they have become very flexible with Ph and Gh, some people keep discus in a Ph of 8.0. ( though that is a little extream)

As long as you are dedicated to them they really arent hard to keep.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top