VERY bloated betta need help

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

☹️ Do you have a photo? Sounds like a bacterial infection

Looks like dropsy to me. I doubt he will make it more than a few days at this point. Dropsy is usually a water quality issue. Are you sure you haven't had any ammonia spikes or anything like that?

Thank you everyone for your help and input unfortunately I came home from my doctors appointment to find out my little buddy didn’t make it :( I do believe it was dropsy based on all my own research and other peoples. I feel absolutely terrible for the little guy knowing he was in pain and suffering I tried everything I could but nothing worked.

Aqueon Betta Food contains TOO MUCH floor to me.
Bettas are predatory fishes. You should preferably feed him live food.
When did he poop the last time ?

Edit : I didn't see your last post.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your help and input unfortunately I came home from my doctors appointment to find out my little buddy didn’t make it :( I do believe it was dropsy based on all my own research and other peoples. I feel absolutely terrible for the little guy knowing he was in pain and suffering I tried everything I could but nothing worked.
I am so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is. I don't think it was dropsy unless he had pineconed scales and buoyancy issues. I think it was probably a bacterial infection. If you do get another betta, here is what I recommend!

Water Parameters:
pH: 6.8-7.4
ammonia: 0ppm
nitrites: 0ppm
nitrates: <20ppm
temp: 74-80 (78 is a good temp)

Food:
I always think live food is best for all fish. However, I know how hard it is to find. So, I recommend Fluval Bug Bites, the pellet form. They are small enough to be easily digestable and packed with proteins. They are made with real insect larvae and other proteins perfect for a healthy betta. I got mine for about $3 or $4 from Petco.
Bloodworms have little nutrition besides an immune booster and color enhancer.

I am so sorry, again. Bacterial infections likely have no cure as there is none available. Your water parameters sound great which is why I don't think it was dropsy but another type of infection.

I would clean out the tank completely (besides the filter media) and wipe it down with hot water. Clean the gravel and decor as well, add more plants. DO NOT use soap or any cleaner on the tank! Hot water is plenty. Bettas love floating plants and tall plants with large leaves that they can sit in.

Update us with anything further and ask any questions you have!

I am so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is. I don't think it was dropsy unless he had pineconed scales and buoyancy issues. I think it was probably a bacterial infection. If you do get another betta, here is what I recommend!

Water Parameters:
pH: 6.8-7.4
ammonia: 0ppm
nitrites: 0ppm
nitrates: <20ppm
temp: 74-80 (78 is a good temp)

Food:
I always think live food is best for all fish. However, I know how hard it is to find. So, I recommend Fluval Bug Bites, the pellet form. They are small enough to be easily digestable and packed with proteins. They are made with real insect larvae and other proteins perfect for a healthy betta. I got mine for about $3 or $4 from Petco.
Bloodworms have little nutrition besides an immune booster and color enhancer.

I am so sorry, again. Bacterial infections likely have no cure as there is none available. Your water parameters sound great which is why I don't think it was dropsy but another type of infection.

I would clean out the tank completely (besides the filter media) and wipe it down with hot water. Clean the gravel and decor as well, add more plants. DO NOT use soap or any cleaner on the tank! Hot water is plenty. Bettas love floating plants and tall plants with large leaves that they can sit in.

Update us with anything further and ask any questions you have!
I am by no means a fish expert so it might not have been dropsy it just seemed to match the closest I originally thought it was just constipation boy was I wrong. I mentioned this on another forum and I can't remember if I did here but he had a sore/lesion forming on his side right at the end of the bulge on his stomach. Appearance wise It was red/pinkish and looked like 2-3 scales were gone and a hole (I might be being dramatic here but im honestly not sure how to describe it) was forming as in it looked like the outer skin was gone. Now he spent the last 3 days down on the bottom of the tank and before I moved him to the hospital tank there was gravel so initially I thought he hurt himself in the tank but does this type of symptom lead you to possibly believe otherwise? According to my test strips the only thing out of whack water wise was his ph but thats been the constant ph since I got him 2 months ago I always buy the same brand of spring water ( I am paranoid about my local tap water). I am not very familiar with all the different fish diseases there is but maybe that sore/lesion forming was the issue or just a symptom of it I have no idea.

I am by no means a fish expert so it might not have been dropsy it just seemed to match the closest I originally thought it was just constipation boy was I wrong. I mentioned this on another forum and I can't remember if I did here but he had a sore/lesion forming on his side right at the end of the bulge on his stomach. Appearance wise It was red/pinkish and looked like 2-3 scales were gone and a hole (I might be being dramatic here but im honestly not sure how to describe it) was forming as in it looked like the outer skin was gone. Now he spent the last 3 days down on the bottom of the tank and before I moved him to the hospital tank there was gravel so initially I thought he hurt himself in the tank but does this type of symptom lead you to possibly believe otherwise? According to my test strips the only thing out of whack water wise was his ph but thats been the constant ph since I got him 2 months ago I always buy the same brand of spring water ( I am paranoid about my local tap water). I am not very familiar with all the different fish diseases there is but maybe that sore/lesion forming was the issue or just a symptom of it I have no idea.
Alright. Lesions can come from bacterial infections eating its way out of your betta. It is likely he had the infection about a week before he started showing severe symptoms. I do not recommend you rely on the testing strips. If you want an accurate reading, get the Liquid Testing kit that you see right below the testing strips at Petco/Petsmart. It is expensive but lasts about 4 years and is far more accurate.

Alright. Lesions can come from bacterial infections eating its way out of your betta. It is likely he had the infection about a week before he started showing severe symptoms. I do not recommend you rely on the testing strips. If you want an accurate reading, get the Liquid Testing kit that you see right below the testing strips at Petco/Petsmart. It is expensive but lasts about 4 years and is far more accurate.
Thank you for all your help and input I have 2 final questions for you. First was this likely due to bad water quality? Is there something I could/should have done differently I.E. was 2 50% water changes not enough or anything like that or could this happen naturally even in good water? and lastly are bacterial infections treatable or when you notice them it's usual to late? I did try melafix but than stopped cause I was told it's bad for bettas

Thank you for all your help and input I have 2 final questions for you. First was this likely due to bad water quality? Is there something I could/should have done differently I.E. was 2 50% water changes not enough or anything like that or could this happen naturally even in good water? and lastly are bacterial infections treatable or when you notice them it's usual to late? I did try melafix but than stopped cause I was told it's bad for bettas
Of course. I love to help where I can.

Test strips are not accurate but they aren't incredibly off. They are good for getting a quick check.

Your water was probably fine, if anything you could have high rates of ammonia which is harmful but I don't think it causes infections. Bacterial infections can happen with age, food, a pathogen in the water. There is nothing you could have done once he contracted whatever it was.

I personally change 75% once a week in my 6.5g for my betta and it is perfect. You can try that next time as well. But if you stick with what you are already doing, you'll be fine, 2 50% changes is very good.

Pathogens occur in water in the wild and if you use spring water that could be a good reason for it.

No, bacterial infections are not treatable unlike in humans. If your betta had a weak immune system, from age or high rates of ammonia, he was defenseless against whatever it was.

What to do next:
- Purchase an API Liquid Testing Kit from your LFS
- Test your old tank water (if you have it)
- Clean tank with warm water thoroughly.
- Collect yourself, and purchase another betta that calls to you.

Fishkeeping is a learn by doing hobby :)

Sorry for your loss ?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back