Vacation Time

kingmed

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jul 12, 2007
Messages
205
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Bloomsburg pa
I have found someone to feed my fish in June over the two and half weeks we are gone, my question is if she comes every 4th day will that be enough to hopefully keep the fish alive? Also I have seen at Petco, Petsmart and Walmart that they sell a feeder that lasts I think either 10 or 14 days, it's the kind fish pick at and release food as they do. The feeder block is made by tetra min and looks like tetra food in it. I was wondering if I have someone feed my fish every 4th day and also have one of these blocks in there during the whole time if that would be enough, also I have a male betta in his 5.5 gallon tank that I was curious if he should have a block feeder also or if feeding every 4th day was enough?
 
Being fed by someone else will be fine, fish are ok food-wise until about a week, probably more. So your friend could only feed the fish once during your holiday and they would be fine.
 
Your far better just to feed a weekend block (they feed for around 2-5 days), then get the person to put a new one in when they come on each fourth day. You stand a higher chance of overfeeding and killing the fish than under feeding.
 
Feeder blocks are notorious for polluting the tank, and you are away, unable to do anything about it. There is supposed to be some sort of gel block on the market, it is pretty new, so there is not a lot of info available.

A well conditioned adult fish will go easily two weeks without eating, I've had them go for 3+ weeks. What I would do, if you are that concerned, is get one of those pill pack sort of things with the days of the week on them. Put a pre-measured amount of food in each compartment, tape or label the date to be fed on each compartment. No worry about feeder blocks, no worry about someone over feeding.

Feeder blocks are a poor excuse for a paperweight as far as I'm concerned.
 
I agree with Tolak, I wouldn't trust holiday blocks.
 
I also agree with Tolak
 
I had a bad experience with a feeder block where I lost a number of fish, and after tests, I concluded that it must have polluted the water. So yeah, I'd stay away from them, especially since the water won't be getting changed for a couple weeks.
 
I agree with Tolak aswell. But in my experience, and someone elses on here, those Tetra Min Gel Feeder blocks work wonders. THey dont disolve in the tank, the fish have to pick away at it, or it will sit there. I've had fish go long periods of time aswell without feeding, but if you want to make sure the person gets it right, section off amounts, or just get the Gel feeders.
 
there's a similar discussion going on here. i do agree with the no no for feeder blocks. check out the link above. shroob gave a good suggestion :good:
 
Returned Friday from my 16 day vacation all tanks and fish alive and doing great, no leakage and even my 5 gallon tank that has my baby mollies and swordtails are all O.K. the babies however have almost doubled in size. Tanks have been syphoned and new water added, I think the worrying over the care of my fish was useless, just glad everything is pretty much in the same way I left it when we left for vacation.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top