Using Tap Water For Cichlid Tank

DopeyAlex

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have malawi cichlid tank and I know they like hard water, so I dont want to be using my ro water for them. My other choice is using tapewater with aquasafe etc.

However, my tap water is very hard already and the TDS meter measures it at 148, which I know is very low for typical tap water. So my question is, does anyone recon I can just use my tap water (un-treated) for waterchanges/top ups etc. ???

Or prehaps a 50/50 mix of both (ro water / tapwater (un-treated))?

Hate the thought of having to buy aqua-safe at the price it is.

Thanks,
Alex

If I understand your question, you are basically asking if you 'need' to dechlorinate your tap water for the cichlids?  I would say the answer is yes.  The dechlorinator also deals with heavy metals, not just chlorine/chloramines.  The truth is that the dechlorinator is cheap by most standards when compared to other additives.

Buying it in bulk would cut down the per-use cost.  Seachem Prime is a fairly good option in terms of the cost, because its fairly potent stuff... very little goes a long way.  But, you can't always get that in the UK.

I would suggest that a 50/50 mix of tap water and RO would be a bad choice. 

Your water TDS is just a 'tick' higher than the Lake Malawi water, which runs 134-140 http://www.malawicichlids.com/mw01011.htm

Personally, I'd just use the tap as it is (maybe with a top up of RO water when the water starts to evaporate, but you should be doing regular water changes anyway, so the water shouldn't evaporate much before you need to top up anyway) with the dechlorinator.  Find an economically favorable one and go with it. 

Yes, Eagles has pretty much said it all there.

You can buy Seachem Prime from eBay but at 500ml will last for ages. And at £20 odd its not too bad when you consider Nutrafin Aqua Plus is about £9 for 500ml but will not last very long as the dosages are much higher compared to Prime.

I used Aqua Plus for my 90 litre tank, had a 250ml bottle, barely lasted just over 2 months as had to use 22.5 ml for 90 litres.

Have now am started to use Prime, a tiny 2.5ml is enough to treat 100 litres!

The maths tells it all, and yes, would recommend you to de-chlorinate your tap water despite the costs of bottles of de-chlorinator! 
smile.png

Ive used pond declorinater for a few years now and have no probs, lasts a while again as its just normal stuff but more potent. cheers

Thanks very much for all your help guys. I have just bought some Seachem Prime off ebay. Going to us it with my hard tap water.

Hopefully get those cichlids breeding lol

Thanks again

Alex

Have fun, whether they breed or not.  And Good luck with it all. :good:

Most reactions

Back