Using Superglue For Attaching Frags

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

idlefingers

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I bought a small rock with zooanthids on yesterday and have found a good position for it in my tank.. Only problem is my big hermit isn't so happy with the position and is constantly knocking it off. So I think I'm going to have to glue it down but before I do so, I want to make sure that what I'm going to use and how I'm going to do it is all ok..

I have a tube of superglue gel which I figured would be better for this kind of application.. Is it as safe as the normal type? Also, for doing the actual sticking together, is it okay to pull the frag out of the water, apply some glue and then stick it to the LR under water or am I going to have to pull things out of the tank and do the gluing out of the water?

Thanks in advance for any advice..

Hi,
As long as the glue is cyanoacrylate it will be fine. The frag can coem out of the water apply the glue and put it back in.

Thanks! It does say it's cyanoacrylate on the back so that's good. Thanks SiameseFighter. It's just such a scary prospect; putting super glue in my tank! It seems so wrong!

I meant to update this.. I've been having difficulties sticking the bugger down! The glue doesn't seem to be sticking (stays soft for ages) then I thought it was stuck only too find it knocked over again this morning!! So, a bit more glue and fingers crossed it'll stick this time, but I'm fully expecting to come home from work and find it upside-down on the sand again. :( I think I'll have to look into the putty stuff you can get which is for this and see if that works better..

How much glue are you using Idlefingers? You need to GOB the stuff on there. Use what you would think is way too much of it :)

Yeah, I started sparingly but quickly realised I needed more.. When I re-attached it this morning before work I literally put half the tube on it and it's still in position now so I think it's worked *fingers crossed*

For future reference and cost aside, what's considered better for this kind of use; superglue or the epoxy stuff you can get?

It depends... The epoxy stuff is good, but you have to be careful with it cause it can damage coral flesh while the superglue cannot. I use both depending on the situation.

ok, sorry for the hijack, undoubtably dumb quesion to follow,
but is superglue ok in freshwater tanks too?
i have a male betta and want to make him a little hidie hole from rock pieces

xXx

It'd be easier to do that out of the water with dry rocks, believe me! You can't do it that way with gluing corals down because they're alive and cannot be left out to dry.

*edit* Sorry I just realised you're probably asking if superglue's alright to use in freshwater in general, not about gluing wet stuff! I imaging it'll be fine in freshwater if it is in marine as the salty water breaks things down much more than FW :good:

Yup, safe for freshwater fish for sure. Heck, hospitals use cyanoacrylate to seal wounds that they can't really sew very well

Who told you supeglue gel won't damage coral flesh? It will kill it instantly, where it touches it. But the rest of the coral will overgrow the plastic that forms when the glue hardens.

CA glues are fine for the tank (your skimmer will likely collapse for an hour, then will return to normal).

However, they are most useful for attaching frags to rock or plugs outside of the tank. CA is useless IME for trying to affix the frag rocks/plugs inside the water. For doing that I have only had luck with putty (I use Aquamend but others are fine and many are made for the hobby -- repackaged but the same stuff in the plumbing aisle in a hardware store).

I use the putty as follows: one drop of CA glue on the frag plug/rock, affix putty to that, then put a drop of CA glue on the putty, then press the assembly, putty + CA glue down onto the spot where desired in the display.

Works every time.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back