Upgrading from a 20G to 75G

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

powerdyne6

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I am in the process of planning my freshwater tank upgrade

I currently have a somewhat planted 20 Gallon with 11 Penguin Tetras that has been up and running for a year or so (maybe longer). Recently lost a Green Tiger Loach due to not having a lid on the tank which was my fault (trying a new light)

I will be getting a 75 Gallon tank. I also am going to be using sand as a substrate

Heating the water is pretty self explanatory.

What I need some help on is what type of canister filter does everyone recommend as I have never had one of those before. Or should I do the typical hang on the back filter.

My PH level in my tap water typically reads 7.2 to about 7.8 depending on time of year. Which brings me to my next question. What schools of fish does my setup allow me to have? (as I haven’t had anything this big before)

Thanks

I am in the process of planning my freshwater tank upgrade

I currently have a somewhat planted 20 Gallon with 11 Penguin Tetras that has been up and running for a year or so (maybe longer). Recently lost a Green Tiger Loach due to not having a lid on the tank which was my fault (trying a new light)

I will be getting a 75 Gallon tank. I also am going to be using sand as a substrate

Heating the water is pretty self explanatory.

What I need some help on is what type of canister filter does everyone recommend as I have never had one of those before. Or should I do the typical hang on the back filter.

My PH level in my tap water typically reads 7.2 to about 7.8 depending on time of year. Which brings me to my next question. What schools of fish does my setup allow me to have? (as I haven’t had anything this big before)

Thanks
Hi powerdyne. Great idea to get a larger tank. So much easier to keep. I wouldn't use sand as a bottom material. It's hard to keep clean. Pouring sand in the tank can create voids or open spaces that can create water chemistry problems. Oxygen can't move through sand, so waste material isn't easily removed. A gravel substrate is most common. It's easily vacuumed and allows water containing oxygen to easily move through it. If you simply change half the tank water weekly, you won't need expensive filters. A sound water change routine will keep the tank essentially nitrogen free and maintain a stable water chemistry. A couple of larger sponge filters and a good air pump is all you need.

10 Tanks

I hate canisters. Just a prejudice.

If you use one, I also use an HOB. Whatever you are supposed to have on a tank, double it. Large tanks tend to be deep, and for small fish, you want the movement of water to distribute heat evenly. I also do large water changes, but good filters also help. Since you want to move water and have a lot of fish, why not filter at the same time. It's a good approach.

fISH CHOICE IS WHAT YOU LIKE. nOTHING WILL SCHOOL. tHAT'S THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. yOU MAY GET SHOALING - TEMPORARY, TIME OF DAY AND SITUATIONAL SWIMMING TOGETHER. tHE SMALLER THE FISH, THE BETTER YOUR CHANCES THERE.

pENGUINS CAN BE A LITTLE ROWDY, AND THEY dang, brushed caps lock) and didn't look back!) cut out really small fish because of it. But give me a large tank and it'll have small fish. There are soooo many beautiful tetras.

I changed from gravel to sand years ago and would never go back to gravel. I find it much easier to clean as the debris sits on top not down between the particles. I have never had problems with gas pockets etc as my substrate is not several inches deep, just deep enough for plant roots.

The choice depends on the fish keeper.

Most reactions

trending

Back