Updated! Pregnant platy question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

QueenReptar

Reaction score
Hello,
So I am very new to the fish world, and I have a question about my pregnant platy. She has been pregnant for weeks now and for about a week or so I could see their outlines and eyes. My platy is a clear Mickey mouse platy, I don't know the actual name for her type. Today I can still see the babies in her belly but I can't see the very dark spots of their eyes anymore. Is it possible they moved around to where I just can't see them or should I be worried that something may be wrong?

I don't think you should worry too much. They are probably in another corner from where you can't see. For further confirmation, please send a photo

I really wouldn't worry too much about her. You could watch her if you want to, but live bearers usually give birth without any problems.
I had a guppy once who gave birth the day after I brought her home! I honestly thought she would die from the stress, but she pulled through just fine, and lived to have many, many more babies.
My feeling is that your platy and her fry will be just fine. :)

Thank you for the replies, I will try and upload a photo if I can get a good one. (Edit: I tried uploading a picture and it gave me an error saying the file was too large, no clue how to fix that) I worry because I've had problems in my tank. I've lost two fish to what I believe was a parasite as they got very skinny but showed no other symptoms besides shimmies. (another edit: they both also had clamped fins) The ones still in my tank are doing just fine besides the pregnant platy concern. Unfortunately when I decided to get fish I fell for everything the pet store told me hook, line, and sinker. So until I can get a bigger tank and get it cycled I am doing lots of tank cleaning and small frequent water changes as I now know my tank is overstocked. Ive been taking my water to get tested as often as possible and all levels are good so far, but I am looking into getting my own testing kit.

Last edited:
I think I solved the mystery, I decided to rinse my filter cartridge and when I put it in some tank water I saw something moving in the bucket... that's right a tiny clear fry... I think the outlines I thought I was seeing was just her orange gravid area. (I thought the fry were orange because there is an orange male) I poured the filter water into the bucket and bingo another tiny clear fry. They are now in a breeder box in the tank since I don't have another option at the moment, maybe i can find some vegetation that sits on the bottom so they can hide and not be trapped in the box. I did put the one small floating live plant I have in the box so they would have some cover but that's all I have at the moment. I don't know if they will survive since they were living in the filter but we will see.

The fry will be perfectly fine living in the breeding trap until they’re big enough to not be eaten, and being in the filter won’t have done them any ill effect don’t worry. If you want to give other babies a better change just add plenty of plants to the tank to give them places to hide.

The fry will be perfectly fine living in the breeding trap until they’re big enough to not be eaten, and being in the filter won’t have done them any ill effect don’t worry. If you want to give other babies a better change just add plenty of plants to the tank to give them places to hide.
Awesome! Thank you so much for the reply!

Most reactions

trending

Back