Trying to make my own PMDD! Some help?

hadjici2

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello people,

I have read about PMDD and I am now ready to make my own. The thing is I have the stuff to do my mixture but they are not as suggested on the net. I intend to be dosing for a planted aquarium with no fish at all so if someone could suggest different amounts of the mixing elements please do so! Here is what I have:

1. K2SO4 This is just fine
2. KNO3 This is just fine
3. Microplex for chelated trace mix but contains the following
N 10% (5% ammonium + 5% nitrite)
Fe 1%
Zn 2.5%
Mn 1%
Cu 0.1%
Co 0.02%
Mo 0.005%
The trace elements are in the EDTA form (don't know what is means)
4. MgSO4 but as salt, not in the hydrated form. How do I convert it into the hydrated form?
5. I have no Boric Acid!

So from the above what do you suggest?

Also by 1 tablespoon is it meant a full topped up tablespoon or a level tablespoon?

jimbooo PMDD stands for "poor mans doseing drops" its a type of fertiliser that traditionally serious hobbyists would make up by themselves, its not really used that much anymore, as the EI method is more popular, the PMDD would have the macro and micro nutrients rolled up into one solution or mix, most hobbyists these days will dose them seperatly as you have more control.

Anyway heres some info for the origional poster and if they live in the US or Canada they can get all the correct elements HERE

As Zig said... you can get all you need from Greg Watson. You can purchase 1 lb of PMDD Pre-Mix for $8.50 . That should last you quite a while.

Zig for your info, I've just bought 1 lb of CSM +B from Greg. Looks like it will last a long time, so will save money in the long run! :D

Edit:- Hadjici2, I always assume a tablespoon to mean level and not heaped.

iggy01 said:
As Zig said... you can get all you need from Greg Watson. You can purchase 1 lb of PMDD Pre-Mix for $8.50 . That should last you quite a while.

Zig for your info, I've just bought 1 lb of CSM +B from Greg. Looks like it will last a long time, so will save money in the long run! :D
[snapback]870336[/snapback]​

Wow....how much includeing shipping.

Came to about £16 with P&P. Like I say ............I think it will last ages!

Took a week to arrive.

iggy01 said:
Came to about £16 with P&P. Like I say ............I think it will last ages!

Took a week to arrive.
[snapback]870339[/snapback]​

Wow thats alot cheaper than i thought, i thought it would cost a fortune to ship so ive held off on getting it, its the way to go, i fed up spending quite a lot on trace fertiliser, how long do you reckon it would last, a year maybe?

Ive also read some people dose a little bit of flourish with it as well, only a small amount though.

But well done definatly the way to go, hes on holidays for 2 weeks but i think ill stick an order in anyway, he wont be back till the 22 aug.

I've just made up my first mix. 1 tablespoon to 250 mls of water. According to Rex you then dose 5 ml, 3 x per week, per 20 gal.

Don't know how long it will last, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was more than a year.

Great stuff thanks for the info, id probably have spent 16 quid on trace in the last 6 weeks or so.

My mixture is worked out for medium light. But if you have high light you could dose a bit more. Trial and error again I suppose! :D

KNO3 is used to add nitrogen and K2SO4 is used to add potassium together with the potassium added by the KNO3?
Is the sulphur in K2SO4 harmfull when correct dosage is used?

hadjici2 said:
KNO3 is used to add nitrogen and K2SO4 is used to add potassium together with the potassium added by the KNO3?
Is the sulphur in K2SO4 harmfull when correct dosage is used?
[snapback]870680[/snapback]​

Sulphur is a macro nutrient that plants require. It isn't harmful to plants when dosed correctly.

Using the estimative index approach how much of chalated trace elements should I dose in a 30g tank and how often a week?

hadjici2 said:
Using the estimative index approach how much of chalated trace elements should I dose in a 30g tank and how often a week?
[snapback]871277[/snapback]​

That's a difficult question to answer.

I know Tom Barr advises to dose 5 mls of traces 3 x a week per 20 gals. I think it all depends on which product you are using. If you were using Plantex CSM +B, you could mix 1 tablespoon in 250 mls of water and then dose 5 mls of that solution 3 x a week per 20 gals.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back