Trumpet Snails With Oscar Okay?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Zagggon

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a 55g with an oscar and 2 plecos and am always having to clean the gravel like once every week.

I hear these trumpet snails are good at cleaning gravel so do yall think it would be good to get some to try and lessen the required amount of cleaning? I have about an inch of gravel the size of peas so I figured if they started breading the snails might make a difference.

Also would the oscar be okay if he swallowed one cuzz he prolly would.

You should probably be vacuuming your gravel once a day, or at least a couple of times a week, with that bioload in the tank.

There are no freshwater fish or species that will eat fish poop.

I hope all three fish are still young and small as a 55G is not nearly large enough for even one of those fish, presuming the plecos are common plecos. The Oscar should grow to 14" and the common plecos should grow to 18" each and I know that only adds up to 50" but the 1" rule only works for fish that stay under 3" as full grown adults.

Here's my blog on better fish stocking rules. http://goldlenny.blogspot.com/2007/02/new-...lace-1-per.html

Unfortunatly I don't recommend this idea, I tried it once thinking the same thing and unfortunatly my Oscar ended up swallowing a few of these snails and die :( :rip: I'd also recommend getting rid of one if not both of your plecos as Commons don't grow to 18" as previously stated, they grow to about 24". I'd recommend either upgrading to a 75gallon tank for the oscar and plecos, or get rid of the plecos and keep just 1 oscar. I know that not many people will agree with me, however if kept alone an Oscar in a 55gallon tank could be okay, depending on the foot print of the tank. it may be a lower tank opposed to the regular sized. If the tank is atleast 18" wide then you should be okay for a while, however a larger tank is greatly appriciated.

Also, Oscars grow larger than 14" I had one for 5 1/2 years and he got to 18", which I've been told to be the max size.

MTS will do no good in your tank.

You need to clean the water/gravel every few days with that kind of bio load.

Adding MTS wont benefit you in any way.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back