Trout/Goldbreast Goodeid

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Circus

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the Goldbreast aka Trout Goodeid (Ilyodon Furcidens)? My lfs had them in their coldwater section, and I picked up a trio (1 M 2 F, I think). I have them in my 90 gallon coldwater with white clouds, 2 fancy goldfish (1 adult,1 juvenile), and 3 medium pond loaches. Plan on moving any fry I can catch into a 20 tall to grow a bit before they go back into the tank.

Even seriously fish doesn't have a whole lot of info on them.

They are the same as Ilyodon xantusi in maintenance. These belong to the more friendly goodeids. Like most goodeids, also this one prefers lower till moderate temperatures. They're easy eaters (omnivores). The bodyshape tells that they prefer a bit of a water flow. But doesn't have to be fast moving water. As long as there's a flow, they'll be alright.
It's still a discussiion wether the I.xantusi and the I.furcidens is the same species but just another color morph. And others say that they're two different species but related (same genus). They'll leave their fry alone.
Sexing is not that hard. The anal fin of both genders are similar. It's just that the male has got a small notch on the first finrays. This is called the andropodium. That's the male's sexual organ. Males of real livebearers (viviparous) have an andropodium unlike ovoviviparous male livebearers that have a gonopodium.

Last edited:
They are the same as Ilyodon xantusi in maintenance. These belong to the more friendly goodeids. Like most goodeids, also this one prefers lower till moderate temperatures. They're easy eaters (omnivores). The bodyshape tells that they prefer a bit of a water flow. But doesn't have to be fast moving water. As long as there's a flow, they'll be alright.
It's still a discussiion wether the I.xantusi and the I.furcidens is the same species but just another color morph. And others say that they're two different species but related (same genus). They'll leave their fry alone.
Sexing is not that hard. The anal fin of both genders are similar. It's just that the male has got a small noth on the first finrays. This is called the andropodium. That's the male's sexual organ. Males of real livebearers (viviparous) have an andropodium unlike ovoviviparous male livebearers that have a gonopodium.
Thank you! So I do have 1 male and 2 females, then. I wish my lfs had gotten these guys in before I decided on a dozen white cloud mountain minnows, as I like them a lot more. With the dense vegetation I have the fry might even survive in the main tank.

I. furcidens are nice looking fish very peaceful and easy to keep and breed should be kept in a tank of 30 gallons+, I prefer to keep mine in a single species tank they can be kept in a community tank with other peaceful fish they usually leave their young alone some plants should be added for fry to take cover they will eat any food offered, green food can be added peas lettuce or spinach can be used one of the favourite foods is duckweed if you have it in a pond/tank they will eat every last bit of it other foods that should not be missed out are live foods such as Daphne or bloodworms and mosquito larvae

They are in a 90 gallon planted tank, seem to be settling in very well. Haven't chased any of the other inhabitants, and nobody has been chasing them either.

Thank you! So I do have 1 male and 2 females, then. I wish my lfs had gotten these guys in before I decided on a dozen white cloud mountain minnows, as I like them a lot more. With the dense vegetation I have the fry might even survive in the main tank.
In my opinion, goodeids are in general very underrated livebearers...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back