Tropical World Vs Pfk

backtotropical

Retired Mod
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Joined
Jul 9, 2007
Messages
4,481
Reaction score
4
Points
38
I bought Tropical World magazine the other day for the first time. I must admit, i'm not really very impressed. It had a couple of interesting articles, but i didn't think it was up to much.

On the other side of the coin, I buy PFK magazine every month and rate it highly.

I thought it would be good to get some opinions on this, see what everyone thinks.

PFK takes my vote. :good:
 
I can't say i've ever read tropical world but i do read PFK every month without fail and I find it to be very good in general
 
Don't buy fish mags.
But alot of members seem to think pfk the best mag.
 
I took out a years subscription to PFK a few years back and was very disapointed, i think out of 13 issues i read about 3 articals with any interest and could have written the rest of the tropical articals myself. I picked up a copy at a friends house a couple of months back and had a flick through and pretty much read an aritical i'd read before but had the wording switched around and a different writers name, it seems the same articals just get regurgitated year after year (much like forum posts :lol: )

Personally i think they should drop the marine and coldwater sections and have them in their own magazines and have a purely freshwater tropical magazine with more articals that are of an interest to the more experienced aquarists rather than presume that everyone who reads the magazine is new to the hobby and has little experience.
 
I've bought the three most recent Practical Fishkeeping Magazine's and they seem to have got progressively worse. The free magazine this time round is nothing more than an advertisment and I don't know, it just doesn't seem to address much of the freshwater tropical's. Seems heavily leaning towads the marine.
This one is my last. For that sort of money I could buy stuff for my tank.
 
I've only bought the last 2 PFks, bever bought the other magazine. I've found PFK has some interesting articles, but it does tend to be a bit biased towards some manufacturers/sponsors. Its a shame but I would imagine its difficult to be totally impartial and still make enough money.

The advice the seem to give is generally sound though :)

One thing I do like is that they are doing more and more on the planted/aquascaping side. This is a new thing to this country really, and its starting to take off now. George Farmer has done and is doing some great articles which will be something fresh :)

Still considering a PFK subscription, just waiting for the right offer (I want a PFK nano damit!) :lol:
 
I used to get pfk, but then got out of the hobby, now I'm back in it, I picked up 2 copies and was disappointed with the number of pages devoted to marine/plants. I would like it if there was a purely freshwater tropical FISH magazine.
 
A couple of you mentioned having a dedicated tropical freshwater fish magazine would be good. Thats what Tropical World is. Although, as i said, it didn't keep my attention for too long. :sad:
 
I bought Tropical World magazine the other day for the first time. I must admit, i'm not really very impressed. It had a couple of interesting articles, but i didn't think it was up to much.

On the other side of the coin, I buy PFK magazine every month and rate it highly.

I thought it would be good to get some opinions on this, see what everyone thinks.

PFK takes my vote. :good:
Hi, has anyone subscribed to Tropical World magazine? I did in November and as of yet I have had not one mag. I have emailed them 3 times and had no reply.

Pat
 
I've never read PFK seeming as I'm from the state...Only mag I've ever seen over here is Tropical Fish Hobbyist...It's alright, not really the best of mags, but it does have a few interesting bits and pieces in it.

Is there any way I can get PFK over here? Or am I doomed to read regurgitated forum posts over and over? ;)
 
Yes backtotropical , i thought the same thing when i bought tropical world last month. All written by people who work for an associated company like eheim or something. I wouldnt buy it again ,but pfk rocks!
 
I usually buy PFK but the main reason I like it is for the pictures. The most recent issue had 5 "Trop Idols" each put together a biotope tank and I thought that most of them were pretty disappointing.
 
I usually buy PFK but the main reason I like it is for the pictures. The most recent issue had 5 "Trop Idols" each put together a biotope tank and I thought that most of them were pretty disappointing.

That's probably because of the low number of entries- no women applied, for one thing.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top