Tropical Fish Tank setup help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

If you are planning on corys sand is a must. Argos play sand is a good choice if you like the colour. As for how much I have seen calculators on some sites, but I like it between 1.5 and 2" deep as that is deep enough to root plants in but not deep enough to cause problems due to anaerobic pockets forming..

Thank you and thanks to everyone else for all the advice.

So are live plants a must in a tropical fish tank?

Hey people.

I put in a Betta Thermal Compact submersible aquarium heater today (200W), however not sure if it's working right?

It has been in a good 6 hours now and is set to heat tank too 25c, however the tank is only 23c and the orange light isn't on. Do I need to set the temperature too 27c so that it gets to 25c?

Most heaters are badly calibrated. The best way to set them is to go by the thermometer, if it is one that goes inside the tank as the stick on the outside thermometers are not reliable.
I would turn the heater up slightly and see what that does. Then a bit more if it's still too low.

Most heaters are badly calibrated. The best way to set them is to go by the thermometer, if it is one that goes inside the tank as the stick on the outside thermometers are not reliable.
I would turn the heater up slightly and see what that does. Then a bit more if it's still too low.

I've attached pictures of the setup. I will also turn it up.

Attachments

• IMG_20200805_192254.jpg
    IMG_20200805_192254.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20200805_192248.jpg
    IMG_20200805_192248.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 49
Today I cleaned the gravel, put in all the equipment and I've added Seachem - Stability and also Seachem - Prime. So, how long should I leave it untill I add fish?

If you have a lot of live plants, when they are visibly growing well.

If there are no live plants, after it has been cycled
Adding Tetra Safe Start will probably speed it up a bit.

Thank you. What is the best test kit to buy for testing pH etc?

A liquid reagent test kit is best. Most of us use the API master test kit which contains tests for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

I brought API 5in1 test kit has the other is too expensive for me at the moment.

The results are;
GH 180
KH 120
PH 7.5
NO2 0
NO3 0

What are your thoughts?

The GH is pretty much what your water company says.
Your water company says your nitrate is an average of 11 ppm over 8 samples, so I would not trust the strip for nitrate.

To cycle a tank you need to be able to test for ammonia. You can buy separate strips for that.
Did you read this on how to cycle a tank https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/

Wouldn't that be because I've added Seachem Stability that breaks it down?

I'll buy some.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back