Top Level Swimming Fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ALEXF

Fish Addict
Reaction score
im trying to find some top dwelling fish for my 55 gallon tank, but cant seem to find very many, i have the bottom, and middle full imo and i waqnt something that will spend most of the time at the top. keeping in mind i have 2 large filters so the current is kind of high. any help would be appreciated.

Hatchets, killies, and gouramis are the first that come to mind. Not sure how well they would work in your tank though.

Thanks, I have had bad luck with gouramis, i dont like hatchets, and killies are to agressive.... darn it. lol i just have to be picky. Im mosr so looking for like a type of tetra...... if possible. Thanks for your input at least someone replied.

guppies love the fast flow, i know not everyone loves them, but they are sweet,bettas(?),pencilfish,splashing tetra,rasbora.mminows,danois, - i just had a qick look thriugh a book i have to get these names, so i havent seen how compatible they are,and the only ones i have kept are the guppies and betta(sff)
maybe google some of the names and you will get all this info
shelagh xxxxx

Could get a group of pearl danios. Any danio would work just the same, really, but IMO, pearls put on a better show than others. Once they're settled in, they're a blaze of red and blue, not the boring pink they usually look like at the LFS. Mine are a bit dumb, though, and will try to shoal with any blueish fish in the tank, usually getting themselves nipped for the trouble.

Not all killifish are overly aggressive, but since you have high filtration, I'm guessing there's a great deal of surface movement as well? My 30 gallon tank had very strong surface movement, and he didn't like it, and tended to lurk in the bottom of the tank. My 55 is still filtered almost 10x volume, but has much lower surface movement, and he doesn't mind as much.

I'd also recommend zebra danios (no experience of the other suggestions) or the closely related leopard danios. My zebras are very active, spend most of their time near the top of the tank, venturing down occasionally, chasing each other around but not nipping. They seem quite happy hanging out in the current from the filter, and are tolerant of a range of water conditions. They're not the most colourful fish, but always on the go. Mine seem to actively enjoy water changes, swimming through the water as it's added, so I think they'd have no problems with your filtration?
A lot of tetras seem to prefer the middle of the tank, but I believe some barbs and rasboras like the top levels and a group could give the same sort of shoaling effect. I know some barbs have a reputation for being nippy, but not all e.g cherry or rosy barbs.

im trying to find some top dwelling fish for my 55 gallon tank, but cant seem to find very many, i have the bottom, and middle full imo and i waqnt something that will spend most of the time at the top. keeping in mind i have 2 large filters so the current is kind of high. any help would be appreciated.

Then it should be some Danios

Seconded on the Danio's, they seem to enjoy a fast current. Once my pearls had settled in their colours really came through, and they're plenty active enough-though I personally prefer the look of Giant Danio's.

Why do you not like hatchets?

The others I would suggest are danios but they sometimes come to the middle and bottom bits.

Forktail rainbows (pseudomugil furcatus)

Spotted blue-eye rainbow (pseudomugil gertrudae)

Both very pretty :D

Forktail rainbows (pseudomugil furcatus)

Spotted blue-eye rainbow (pseudomugil gertrudae)

Both very pretty :D
They are pretty, gertrudaes are hard to find though. Also IMO they are not a top level fish but much more mid level. Pseudomugil signifer is more of a top level fish, they can be nippy though.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back