Together in perfect harmony...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

chris66

Reaction score
Hi,I'm new to acquariums and new to this forum. I've finally taken delivery of a new 45 gallon tank which I'm in the process of setting up. In a few weeks time I (finally!) want to start introducing a few of my chosen "fish wish list".
I live in italy where everything is known by latin names, so hope you can help.I was wondering if my ideas of a community aquarium are ok ?
Below are names, quantity and max. length (from my research)

TRICHOGASTER LEERI 2 10cm
Betta 1 5cm
PARACHEIRODON INNESI (Neon tetras or Cardinals) 20 2 - 4 CM
EPALZEORHYNCHOS KALOPTERUS 1 1O CM
COLISA LALIA 2 5/6 CM
BOTIA SIDTHIMUNKI 4 4 CM
ANCISTRUS DOLICHOPTERUS 1 13 CM
Cory 4 4-8cm
Otocinclus 4/6 3/4 CM
and a few shrimps/crabs

I've been told that the Trichogaster and Colisa may squabble ? and that I need to wait 6 months before introducing the Neons ?
Many Thanks !

Chris

Welcome to the forum, Chris. :)

I'd be careful about adding more than one kind of gourami to the same tank. The betta would probably go after the gouramis, no matter how big they are. Pearl gouramis (Trichogaster leeri) are one of the less aggressive gouramis, so they might go with the dwarf gouramis (Colisa lalia).

Are you sure you want the Epalzeorhynchus kallopterus? It's not a very good algae eater and can get aggressive towards other fish with age. It might also go after the ottos since they have a similar shape, even though they are of different sizes.

As for the bottom-dwellers, I'd choose either the cories or the loaches (Botia sidthmunki). The bottom of the tank might just get too crowded otherwise, especially with the ottos as well. I'd also suggest you get at least six each of the cories, ottos or loaches, because as shoaling fish they prefer a larger group.

The ancistrus and the tetras are fine. I'm very happy to see someone planning a really big shoal of tetras, they just look (and feel) better that way. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back