Tips For A Novice 'rare Betta' Keeper

wrightt3

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I've been seriously considering purchasing some betta Channoides for my 15 gallon but heard that they can be quite difficult to keep. Given that they are fairly expensive to replace, I would greatly appreciate some tips for keeping them.

Firstly, how important is pH and hardness. I couldn't give you an actual reading for my water hardness but I know it is fairly high and my pH is 7.6. I have tried used Indian almond leaves and peat in an attempt to lower it but it doesn't seem to be working so would it be worth investing in RO water?

Secondly how aggressive are they? My aim is to keep a pair with my neons and my Farlowella. Also would a pair be advisable or should I go for more/less?

Lastly, what should I feed them? Do they take flake food or would I have to wean them onto it?

An other tips and tricks for keeping them would be useful as well. Thanks in advance!  
smile.png

Channoides are quite docile and pretty small. You could easily fit several pairs in a 15 gallon. They can sometimes be weaned onto prepared foods but really appreciate live and frozen the most. As for ease, I find them rather easy if you acclimate them properly first. The PH is not their ideal level but they can get used to it and thrive. As for spawning, they may or may not. Do you have the top completely covered? Any small gaps they may be able to leap right on through. They are highly accurate jumpers. The best way to acclimate is via drip over several hours for the PH difference. 

As for the neon compatibility, you can surely try, just watch for the neons picking at the channs. Make sure you have a backup setup as a just in case. 

Thanks for the quick reply!
Whilst several pairs would be nice, the only place that I can find that sells them, does so for £15 each
confused.gif
 I think initially I will just start of with a single pair.  
As for feeding, which frozen foods would you recommend to provide a good variety and how often should I feed them?

My tank has a tight fitting lid but there is a small hole in the top corner to let the cables from the internal filter and heater through. I could easily cover this over though with a piece of tape or something or I could lower the water level so they can't reach it. How high roughly can they jump?

My neon shoal seems fairly placid so I doubt there will be any problems. If there is, I could always feed them to my bichir in the other tank
laugh.png

Ouch thats closely 25 USD... A single pair will fit just fine :) 

Mine like the brine shrimp, glass worms, blood worms and beefheart. I feed once a day, and sometimes skip a day. 

They can jump a good foot ... They have some kick to them little tails. Tape will work though :) 

A foot!? I'd need to completely empty the tank lol. Tape it is then. Thanks very much for the help.
I'll be sure to post some pictures if I go ahead with buying them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back