Tiny little bugs

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

big b

Reaction score
I have a 30 gallon tank with 1 Piranha and a large snail. About 3 months ago I found some tiny little bugs when I was changing the water. They are in the filter and the gravel, but not up in the water or on the fish. they are smaller than the head of a pin, light brownish-white in colour and look like tiny little balls(I cqan't make out any legs or other details). I took some to the fish store and they didn't know what they were, but suggested trying methyl blue. That didn't work.
They don't seem to be causing any harm, hawever the tank has been running for about 2 years without them and I just don't want them in there. The only new addition to the tank was a peice of driftwood purchased at the fish store, but that was months before the bugs appeared.
Any help on getting rid of these would be appreciated.

I have had the same problem in the past and was told it could be caused by bad water conditions. Here's a LINK to my original thread.

i wonder if thats the same thing i have....except all the ones i see are white, and i can make out on some of the larger ones what looks like 2 tails that can open and close like scissors. we looked at some under a microscope, and they look like this:

bugs.jpg

A. is the smallest type i see

B. is what they look like when their tail is not open. they are like this most of the time.

C. is what they look like when they have their tail open.

D. sometimes they curl their tail up to the side of their body.

these things live mostly on the surface of the water....i haven't noticed any on the bottom....do you know if this might be what you have?

they are as small as you said too...bout the size of a needle tip.

steppy104, my little guys never appear on the surface. Only in the gravel or the filter. Maybe one or two on the glass at any one time.
rykitten, I checked out your link. I think i keep my tank clean, I clean it once a week vacuuming the gravel each time. When i discovered the little guys I tried changing half the water twice weekly for a couple weeks. This decreased their numbers but not for long. I feed the piranha 8 pellets per day(about 1/4 inch diameter) I don't know if this is a lot or not, he is about 8 inches long.
Thanks for your replys.

I had these to at one point...i found that everytime i changed my water i would rinse my filter in water from the tank.....also make sure no food is left on the edge of the tank or on the lid...Just keep on it and they'll be kept under control...as for "exactly" what they are i have no idea :D

Most reactions

Back