Tiny Creatures In My Shrimp Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fm1978

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi guys and girls

Just set up a 60L tank in my office at work. Had the tank at home with the same cycled filter but I've noticed tiny wee creatures zipping about. 

They're very small about 1-2mm in length and they're white with a noticeably thicker top end and thin tail. They're probably too small to take a photo of, unfortunately.

Anyone any ideas what they are? Are they harmful? Should I get a few wee nano tank sized fish to eat them up?

Thanks in advance everyone!

It might be just infosoria - which is not harmfull. Infosoria is used for feeding fish fry. There are thounsands of small animals that lives in our aquarias that we haven't put there, and most of them as the infosoria helps degrade biologic matter such dead leaves, fish feces ect.

Further more shrimp babys (those with specialized breeding such as bumble bees and RCS) are tiny. So maybee you had a pregnant shrimp :)

Wouldn't worry too much about that.

Sounds like it could be a number of things, really.  I always find copepods in my small tanks (almost exclusively in small tanks - anyone know why?).  The little scuttling creatures are adorable, but were a shock at first.  Most of them are harmless.

Check out this thread about hitchhikers.  Does it look like anything in there?

Since there are not fish to eat those tiny animals: copepods and anthropods. They thrive and prosper,

Happens in newly set up shrimp tanks or even in mature ones

sounds like baby shrimp to me. they are hard to see at first and just look like white specks moving around.

Most reactions

trending

Back