Tiger Barbs

SFC K

New Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2008
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I have a 75 gallon Aquarium and all I have in it currently is 10 Tiger Barbs. They are about a quarter in size each and need I some advice on what I can add to my tank. I had two Panda Cory's but they were literally chased to death. The guy at the fish store said that they would get along fine and was he wrong. Info that I have read on them is that they coexists with other fishes moderately well. I'm not buying it. ant ways has any one expeirenced the same results from their Tiger Barbs?

Thanks!
 
ive kept tiger barbs in past with no problems.
it could be that the panda cories are just too small other cories might be ok , you could also try bn plecs or other kinds of plecs and catfish.
 
I thought about that. I would really like to get another Featherfin Catfish, But have'nt seen any at any of the local fish stores.
 
tigers barbs belong in a semi-aggressive community. i would get similarly sized (3" long) or slightly larger fish to go with them. don't get shy, peaceful fishes like corys and otos.
 
tigers barbs belong in a semi-aggressive community. i would get similarly sized (3" long) or slightly larger fish to go with them. don't get shy, peaceful fishes like corys and otos.

I dont think I will get corys again. I'm going to have to get somthing bigger then they are for sure.
 
hmm, I have a 55 gallon, and was thinking of getting 8-10 tiger barbs in it. Now I am a little nervous. The tank currently has:

9" common plec (yes, I know, get a bigger tank for this)
5 blue / gold gourami (4")
3 spotted raphael catfish (5")
3 bamboo shrimp (3")

Do you think the tiger barbs would pick on the bamboo shrimp or the gourami? Any suggestions to add instead of tiger barbs, looking for something that is not too shy, since the tank looks dead sometimes when most of the fish are hiding. Tiger barbs are about as small as I would like to go.

To answer SFCK's question, I hear that blue and gold gourami get along with tiger barbs. (which is why I plan on trying it) It sounds like you are looking for bottom dweller options though? (since you picked cories before)
 
Gosh, I don't have any answers for you...but only experienc. I have 13 Tiger Barbs in a 60 gal tank, and although they like to mix it up with each other they do not bother the other fish. I have 16 neons, 4 Serpae tetra's, two angel fish and and a couple of silver sharks, as well as a happy pleco in there and it is a very peaceful community tank. The barbs are always busy and racing about, but they leave the others alone..oh and mine are a good deal bigger than a quarter now. I was thinking the other day that they are easily 2" now. Very cool fish.
 
my tigar barbs are fine too. i have corys, i honestly think its down to the fish. if you get them make sure you have 10+ as then they chase/play with each other.

Think they have a bad name, mine a quality, lively fish
 
I wish I would have bought other fish when I got these guys. I wonder if it is the way I feed them? I give them dry flakes twice a day. Once in the morning and once at supper time. As soon as I open the top they are on top waiting for it to drop.
Maybe if I feed less more often they wont be so aggresive. IDK...
 

Most reactions

Back
Top