Three spot gouramis

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Olly1983

Reaction score
Hi is it normal for three spot gouramis to kill rumy nose tetras and to attack another gourami, my levels in my tank are all great and ph and temp good, I have a 30gallon tank with 7 rumy nose, two three spot gouramis, some platys and mollies all seem to live happily together other than the largest gourami which I've just found eating my rumy nose and it keeps going for my other gourami, any advice.

Yes. Blue Gouramis, also called Three Spot Gouramis, can be pretty rough on each other and tankmates. You need hideouts for the other fish and decorations and tall plants to demarcate territories and cut line of sight. But, really, Blue Gouramis work better in a species only tank. IMO.

Yes. Blue Gouramis, also called Three Spot Gouramis, can be pretty rough on each other and tankmates. You need hideouts for the other fish and decorations and tall plants to demarcate territories and cut line of sight. But, really, Blue Gouramis work better in a species only tank. IMO.
Thank you for your reply, do you think the best solution would be to remove them then, I now have mollies swimming up and down the side of the tank so I am assuming they feel threatened by them, its the only reason I see,

I agree completely with Back in the Fold. This is probably the most aggressive of the medium-sized gourami species. There are several varieties, namely Gold, Blue, 3-spot, cosby, marble, and maybe others; but they are all the same natural species, Trichopodus trichopterus. All male goourami of all species are territorial, but in this species this is often very heightened. But even females can sometimes turn into killers of other fish in the tank.

I would remove the gourami. See if the store will take them back, or another aquarist.

I agree completely with Back in the Fold. This is probably the most aggressive of the medium-sized gourami species. There are several varieties, namely Gold, Blue, 3-spot, cosby, marble, and maybe others; but they are all the same natural species, Trichopodus trichopterus. All male goourami of all species are territorial, but in this species this is often very heightened. But even females can sometimes turn into killers of other fish in the tank.

I would remove the gourami. See if the store will take them back, or another aquarist.
Thank you, I have put the gouramis in another tank, unfortunately they will have to go back as it my sons tank and he has other plans for it and its not really big enough for gouramis, I hope they will be fine untill I can get to the shop on Tues. morning. Do you think my mollies, platys and rumy nose tetra be OK now? the mollies have immediately stop swimming up and down like loonies so fingers crossed.

Thank you, I have put the gouramis in another tank, unfortunately they will have to go back as it my sons tank and he has other plans for it and its not really big enough for gouramis, I hope they will be fine untill I can get to the shop on Tues. morning. Do you think my mollies, platys and rumy nose tetra be OK now? the mollies have immediately stop swimming up and down like loonies so fingers crossed.

Removing the two gourami is all you can do at this point. It is likely the gourami were the issue for the other fish, but whether anything permanent may come out of this we cannot predict. But removing the trouble should certainly improve things.

Most reactions

Back