Thor?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Floridapierce78

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I aquaired these 4 silver dollars a dew days ago. They were fine the first day or so and then yesterday a lightning bolt showed up on one and the fish died a dew hours later. Now another one has gotten thenlightning.bolt please help. I will include pics.

Attachments

• 20220817_224952.jpg
    20220817_224952.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220817_224945.jpg
    20220817_224945.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220817_225544.jpg
    20220817_225544.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 18
That's the lateral line on the fish, but lateral line disease is not common. Do you see any sign of parasites that might be stressing them? I almost think I see whitespot on one of the others. Silver dollars are a scaleless fish and quite sensitive to meds

That's the lateral line on the fish, but lateral line disease is not common. Do you see any sign of parasites that might be stressing them? I almost think I see whitespot on one of the others. Silver dollars are a scaleless fish and quite sensitive to meds
I have not medicated them. I only used Prime when performing water changes. I noticed my nitrates were a little high. But this lines on thier lateral line just showed up. The fish did get stressed when moving. What steps should I take? If you don't mind.

I did a 50% water change and will donso everyday until it's back under control.
And it's not really white spots it's almost as if they got injured.

Attachments

• 20220817_233054.jpg
    20220817_233054.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220817_233047.jpg
    20220817_233047.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 17
I did a 50% water change and will donso everyday until it's back under control.
And it's not really white spots it's almost as if they got injured.
it is probably mucous that is clumping up because the fish is exposed to too much nitrate

that is a good plan, perhaps something triggered a mini cycle or is rotting
you should check the tank for
dead plants/fish, or rotting gunk

Nitrate is not a sign of a mini cycle, that's when ammonia and nitrite show up for several days. But yes, something rotting in the tank could produce ammonia which the micro-organisms turn into nitrate even though the ammonia is dealt with so quickly neither that or nitrite is detectable.

Other causes of high nitrate in a tank are high nitrate in the source water (tap water), too many fish, feeding too much, not enough water changes.

Nitrate is not a sign of a mini cycle, that's when ammonia and nitrite show up for several days. But yes, something rotting in the tank could produce ammonia which the micro-organisms turn into nitrate even though the ammonia is dealt with so quickly neither that or nitrite is detectable.

Other causes of high nitrate in a tank are high nitrate in the source water (tap water), too many fish, feeding too much, not enough water changes.
I'm feeding to much. I did a good gravel vac and water change yesterday will do the same everyday until nitrates under control. There is no ammonia in the tank. Thank you everyone. I will keep you posted.

those fish can't tolerate the slightest trace of nitrite either, they will react faster than the color on a test kit. I'd hunt for anything doing a surprise decompose as you clean

Most reactions

trending

Back