The Yeast Co2 Method

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Not bigging it up really. If someone wants trouble free CO2 then pressurised is definately the way. If they start talking about cost then they defeat theirselves as pressurised is cheaper in the long run.

However I am quite enjoying it. Having mastered all the techy stuff to the point where the hi tec tank wasn't a lot of work and then pushing that even further with the non CO2 setup it can get quite boring if you are in a motivated spell.

Its a chance to do things and get the hands working :)

I'll run it until I get bored. I will then choose to go back to non CO2 or pressurised. I will need something else to retrieve me from boredom though. lol

Maybe a new tank will appear in the main bedroom to cause an argument. That would be fun :)

Andy

Lol. My site doesn't have a shop. I was implying that GreenNeedle the name is sort of a clue as to where there is loads of this plant. lol

AC

Ahh lol oh yeah just wondered is it a level teaspoon of yeast in each bottle or a heaped teaspoon?

You're not reading Steve, you're scanning. Properly measured teaspoon. Modern teaspoons are all different sizes so not really very good for measuring purposes.

I'll put a pic up of the ones I have from Wilkos later. They're only a couple of quid. I use them for cooking as well :)

AC

Oh well gone and done it now. :)

iphone039.jpg

iphone041.jpg

iphone043.jpg

iphone044.jpg

iphone047.jpg

iphone046.jpg

The view while I was working. :)

iphone040.jpg

Great thing was, the rapid epoxy was dry and solid in an hour and I filled the first bottle and it was giving 30bbm in about 10mins. Bad thing was I realised why the non return valve was needed when I squeezed a bottle lol, I'll be buying one tomorrow. :)

Bad thing was I realised why the non return valve was needed when I squeezed a bottle lol, I'll be buying one tomorrow. :)

You've lost me here Steve. When you squeex the bottle the yeast mix can go up the line, or squeeze the bubble counter and water goes up the line.

The NRV won't stop that. the NRV is to stop anything coming down the line from the tank end. It won't stop stuff from going up the line from the bottles.

If it did it would stop the CO2 as well!!!

AC

yeah some water from the bubble counter came up the line lol. Thing is the mix isn't very consistant at the moment, it gives out a huge bubble every 5 seconds or so most of which misses my ladder and goes straight to the surface, I've filled the second bottle with water for the moment so the weight of the water pushes the bottle out a bit as I think the CO2 is creating pressure and the bottle is expanding a little then it lets out a load in the tank then most misses the ladder. Sort of comes out in big bursts lol.

what an interesting read AC i have chose to follow your method to the letter apart from the diffuser (i am using a ceramic one inside the tank.)
How is your system going so far.
Mine is going great so far, day 2 and am getting around 70-80ppm. I will be adding my 2nd bottles mixture at day 3 same as you. Do you think you will need to add the 3rd bottle. :hyper:

what an interesting read AC i have chose to follow your method to the letter apart from the diffuser (i am using a ceramic one inside the tank.)
How is your system going so far.
Mine is going great so far, day 2 and am getting around 70-80ppm. I will be adding my 2nd bottles mixture at day 3 same as you. Do you think you will need to add the 3rd bottle. :hyper:

70-80ppm? I'm sure you mean bpm. Even so thats quite a lot from one bottle. Maybe yours is a little warmer.

I have actually had a probelm and have altered my recipe last night. I'll detail this later and amend the recipe in the first few pages for those who can't read past the first page. lol

AC

Hope that's not aimed at me AC lol, I'm thinking of adding an air stone under my Nutrafin ladder as at the moment the huge bubbles its letting out are too big for the bottom of my ladder and most of the CO2 is shooting straight up to the surface. If I use an air stone I was thinking the little bubbles it will let out will hit the bottom of my ladder and work their way up it and I should get more into the water, what you think???

Hope that's not aimed at me AC lol,

Nope the post above it. lol

I'm thinking of adding an air stone under my Nutrafin ladder as at the moment the huge bubbles its letting out are too big for the bottom of my ladder and most of the CO2 is shooting straight up to the surface. If I use an air stone I was thinking the little bubbles it will let out will hit the bottom of my ladder and work their way up it and I should get more into the water, what you think???

No idea never tried it with an airstone. not sure why the bubbles are so large though. Same sized tubing etc.

Is the tube on your ladder cut at an angle?

AC

If it's a nutrafin ladder, they are renound for this problem. It should settle within a day or two. If you google it there will be loads of thread regarding this matter. So much so, Hagen gas to put a disclaimer in the intructions.

Yea its got an angled cut on the end, it comes with it, gonna put the airstone under it tomorrow I think.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back