The Tff Brackish Tank Setups Thread

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fella

Research!
Reaction score
I remember when i was first starting out with a brackish tank, I really didn't know what setups looked like, or how people really looked after them. I didn't know what to expect it to look like, or what fish people kept together, so my idea for this thread is to post photos of your setup and some small details around it as well. It also means that those regulars to the brackish section can see what our peers are up to with their setups.

So the format to follow will be

Photo

Tank Size/Manufacturer

Filtration and lighting

Decoration including plants and substrate

Stocking list

And then anything else.

In order for this thread to really work It will be important to stick to the above format. just copy and paste it in when you do a reply.

Fella's brackish oddball tank

Photo

767897706_4c41a28a83_b.jpg

767905046_f0105370e8_b.jpg

Tank Size/Manufacturer

65g

Filtration and lighting

2 x Fluval 304's, Standard Juwel Lighting with 2 interpet daylight tubes, 1 x UV steriliser

Sand mixed with crushed coral. Bog wood, and some plain white rock (Now covered in algae).

Stocking list

1 x Toxotes Jaculatrix Archerfish, 3 x Monodactylus Sebae, 1 x Dormitator maculatus, 1 x Datnioides quadrifasciatus 1 x Allenbatrachus grunniens.

The tank I fluctuate between 1.005 and 1.010 because I think this helps imitate a true brackish environment, and it makes water changing easier too

EDIT as of 1/8/2007

Removed the toadfish as he was eating anything I put in the tank (I tried a pair of takifugu ocellatus for all of one day, 1 was a fin nipper, the other the toadfish somehow managed to eat) and in the tank now. The toadfish is back at the store, and is now replaced with a nandus, which looks like a tiny tigerfish, really amazing looking. I'll try and get a photo. at some point.

Nice tank there :)

Mine looks positively tiny by comparison, but the fish are happy enough, so thats all that matters :)

Brackish%20Puffer%20Tank.jpg

and just to show the size of the 2 Tetraodon Biocellatus...

size.jpg

Tank Size/Manufacturer

65 Litre Aqua One Cube

Filtration and lighting

Eheim Ecco 2236
Standard dual 8watt Compacts

Natural 0.5mm-1mm pea gravel,
Hagen False plants and wood.

Stocking list

2 x Tetraodon Biocellatus
6 x Bumblebee Gobies

Hi All

I 've got three Brackish Tanks

First One

DSC02004.jpg

TANK SIZE - Jewel/24x10x15 approx 12 gal

FILTERATION - Internal Filer (Jewel)

DECORATION - Java Fern, Wood, Moss Balls, Black Sand

STOCKING LIST - One Figure 8 Puffer

Second One

DSC01987.jpg

TANK SIZE - 32x15x15 approx 26 gal

FILTERATION - Eheim Pro 2 External - Lighting is Arcadia

DECORATION - Sand, Terracotta Pot, Slate, Wood, Moos Balls, Java Fern, Silk Plant.

STOCKING LIST - 2 xUnknown Gobies, 2 x Antenna Fish, 1 Baby Molly

Third Tank

DSC02036.jpg

DSC02046.jpg

DSC02015.jpg

TANK SIZE - 6 1/2 x2x2 approx. 150 gal

FILTERATION - Fluvel X5 - Internal Powerhead , and a skimmer .

DECORATION - Black Sand, Big Piece of Mangove Wood, Other Wood, Java Fern, Slate, Cobbles.

STOCKING LIST - 4 Archers, 4 Monos, 1 GSP, 1 Jade Goby, 1 Green Chromide, 4 Columbian Cat Shark.

I have just one brackish tank for now I recently upgraded from a 30gl to this 52gl
DSCN2498.jpg

Tank Size/Manufacturer
52gl made by O'Dell

Filtration and lighting
Penguin 330 biowheel
24"ballist with day-max coralife

argonite
fake plants and decor

Stocking list
2 Green Spotted Puffers
(Tetraodon nigroviridis)

Very nice setups everyone, brackish should be more popular.

I wish Brackish would be more popular. I think people assume that Brackish Fish are hard to keep. I have kept African Cichlids for 15 years and only have come across Brackish Fish by chance 18 month ago. I had a spare tank given to me and wanted something different. Then I was given all the wrong advice by my LFS. That’s when I joined this Forum, and thanks to the people on here I have learned a lot in a short space of time. The Problem is there aren’t enough LFS with the right information about Brackish.

Sabby

I wish Brackish would be more popular. I think people assume that Brackish Fish are hard to keep. I have kept African Cichlids for 15 years and only have come across Brackish Fish by chance 18 month ago. I had a spare tank given to me and wanted something different. Then I was given all the wrong advice by my LFS. That’s when I joined this Forum, and thanks to the people on here I have learned a lot in a short space of time. The Problem is there aren’t enough LFS with the right information about Brackish.

Sabby

It's too true. Syston is pretty good for us because it has a brackish section, but even then the information isn't always clear.

I've updated my profile on this thread too, I've had a few changes!

Pets1BG002.jpg

Pets1BG003.jpg

Pets1BG001.jpg

40 gal
nothing in it right now
visitherm heater(very good heater!!)
penguin 55gal mechanical filter

old pics, have nothing in the tank now(cycling)

my 180 gal

4 archer microleptis

1 G tile

1 G polyuranodon

1 other Gymnothorax of unknown type

3 S tetracanthys

1 S argus (green variant)

1 anableps

IMG_1255f.jpg

IMG_1253f.jpg

slighlty different layout

IMG_0344.jpg

an old favorite of mine. Fish no longer with us

IMG_1684.jpg

I have just one brackish tank for now I recently upgraded from a 30gl to this 52gl
DSCN2498.jpg

Tank Size/Manufacturer
52gl made by O'Dell

Filtration and lighting
Penguin 330 biowheel
24"ballist with day-max coralife

argonite
fake plants and decor

Stocking list
2 Green Spotted Puffers
(Tetraodon nigroviridis)

isnt that yellow fish there on the left a full marine? i cant remember the name but i've seen it in full marine setups but never brackish. or did it come with the background?

isnt that yellow fish there on the left a full marine? i cant remember the name but i've seen it in full marine setups but never brackish. or did it come with the background?
Its on the background, and it is marine, I think its a yellow tang?

Mike

Most reactions

trending

Back