The Secret To Crystal Clear Water On The Cheap!

But the filter floss is made for FISH so you KNOW it is safe
smile.png
i just ordered a roll of that stuff. im gunna use it and give it a review. the pillows do an excellent job, offcourse theres a risk if you dont know what youre looking for. but the pros cant be ignored, the difference in water clarity using this stuff was excellent to say the least, i have a 1400 lph and two 700lph external filters. so i need sutn that lasts long and is cheap. i wasnt aware they sold pond filter floss on ebay so i cant really say which is best overall. so im going to review it :)

also iu know its chaging topic, but i watched my rainbow fish lay eggs today, only to be scattered all over the place and eaten up by other fish lol

But the filter floss is made for FISH so you KNOW it is safe
smile.png
Agreed.

I knew someone, a few years ago, who wiped out their entire tank using pillow/cushion stuffing instead of proper filter floss. For the sake of a few quid, it's not worth the risk, IMO, not when a roll of floss can be had so cheaply. I think I paid about a tenner for my roll, and its going to last for years and years.
i recieved some of that pond filter floss today, its ok quality. it isnt very dense and can easily be squuezed to 1mm with your fingers. i ran it under the tap and you can see right through it. i would need 6 or 7 layers of this stuff to fill up a tray for my external filter and you have to cut it to the right shape which is a bit of hassle, overall i would preffer the pillow stuffing for ease of use! its so simple just to grab a load and flat pack it in your tray. i am yet to actually test this stuff. i just recently cleaned out the filter im using the pillow stuff in, il give it a week and then test it!

You do know you can buy different thicknesses of this don't you? You have probably purchased the small size. It goes up to 20mm thickness . I use this and my water is crystal clear

See Here

5-8mm Thickness (Really Thin, can be shredded like your pillow stuffing)

LINK to ebay Item

35-45mm Think (Like the pads you buy from LFS, and what come with filters)

Link to 2nd Ebay Item
yeah im aware of the thickness options. it still isnt very dense. looks like it will do the job. im just unsure of how much waste it can actually hold before you have to replace it, i think both options are good :)

cool didn't think about the thicknesses when I got mine a couple of years ago, still loads left.
How thick a layer does everyone use in their external filters?

thanks!

currently using the 15mm thickness and its great, tempted to fo for the 45mm stuff to fill my tetratec filter trays
good.gif

Most reactions

Back